Too many chisels

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Looking through my tool cabinet, I was struck by the number of chisels I have. Unlike clamps, I believe I have too many chisels. The majority of them are Japanese which I got over the course of many years. Back in the '80s there was a lot of interest in Japanese woodworking and I jumped into that to a certain extent. My problem is that back in the day the quality of the chisels was varying. Some of the highest quality were too expensive for me and the cheapest ones were suspect. So I tried to average out the costs and purchase accordingly. Now another fact about Japanese chisels is that they were often made by one maker so the names on the chisels were usually available from one seller. I got most of my chisels from Japan Woodworker out in CA but some from Garrett Wade also. Now I would like to sell off these chisels but I don't have any idea of their worth. Does anyone know of a place where I could find out if the chisels are comparable to what Lee Valley sells? Thanks for any leads.

Roy G

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
I'd suggest that you simply check with a number of hand tool suppliers if you've not already done so to see current pricing. While I don't necessarily agree with the thought that used WW tools usually bring about 1/2 the price of new that is something to consider based on the quality and prior usage of the tools in question. Then you can decide on your pricing using your own expectations with at least a bit of knowledge of the landscape. You might also put somoe of your tools on line with your pricing to see what interest ther might be out there. In truth, reality and expectations often diverge from one another. That said, you can never tell what folks will find interesting enough to buy at any given time. Good luck!

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
I got several PMs so I thought I would list what I have to see if there is any interest.

Yoshitora temple carpenter chisels--that's what Japan Woodworker called them. They're about 11 1/2" long.
1. 24mm
2. 18mm
3. 13mm
4. 4mm
5. 3mm

Regular length Yoshitora bench chisel
6. 6mm

Same length as the first 5 chisels but bought from Garrett-Wade
7. 7mm
8. 3mm

Mortise chisels
9. 18mm from Woodcraft