To resaw or not to resaw Honduras Mahogany

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I just bought 100+ bf of Genuine Honduras Mahogany 10/4's x 10" and 12" x 10 and 12 feet long.
What is the consensus, resaw when needed or resaw now?
My stepson has a house that is trimmed in Honduras Mahogany. I bought this for his remodeling projects. He is presently remodeling a bathroom shower trimmed in HM, however the workers will probably be able to reuse the trim.
Just looking at the future.
I thought about putting this on my lumber rack inside a three sided shed until needed.
Yes, no, maybe?

Thanks,

Joe Isley

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 to Jeremy.

Question about storage: Are these boards kiln dried or air dried? What is the current MC% ?

sandfarm

Joe
User
Don't know the MC%. I do know that they were in a warehouse in Mobile, Alabama for 25 years, before being moved to Asheville for "Scrounger's Paradise"
Raymond, do you want to see the lumber, I am in Charlotte until Monday.

Joe Isley

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wow, too bad that's not closer. I'd love to have some of that wood for a reasonable price. I have a project right now that 10/4 or 8/4 wood would be just perfect for.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
+1, Joe. In a year or two you might decide to use it for something else and regret sawing it now.

Indeed, you may decide that you need some table legs or a turning, or any other job that requires some thick lumber and then you would have to resort to laminating multiple pieces together to make such up if you resaw ahead of need.

By resawing only as needed you will make more efficient use of your stock and preserve your options should your needs or wishes change down the road, as such often do. The only reason to resaw upfront is if you can be 100% certain, beyond any doubt, that you will only ever make use of a specific thickness of board or veneer, but that is very rare in the hobbyist world unless you have extremely specialized interests.

sandfarm

Joe
User
I live in Alamance County. You are only 45 miles further to Asheville.
There is no reasonable price for HM. I paid $12/bf.
So, in a year or two like others have said, make table legs, etc., it will be a very expensive table and legs.
Maybe I should take my stepson house apart and replace the HM with some other wood.
Joe

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Actually $12/bf for 8/4 Real Mahogany is very reasonable. I paid over $16 for it on sale last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS