To Parallel or not to Parallel, that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
I am looking to get an 8" jointer. I probably should have jumped on that Grizzly with the paint blemish but I procrastinated too long, oh well.

My question is about parallel adjustable beds. Is it worth the extra cost or will the dovetail style beds work just as well? Parallel beds are easier to adjust but I'm not sure that I will need to adjust them all that much. I hope once I get it set up it won't need to be adjusted again. Is it worth another 200 to 300 bucks or so for the parallel beds or will I do just fine with the dovetail beds?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Grizzly with Dovetail Beds and once I got it set up initially have not had to go back and mess with it. I don't see much advantage to the parallelogram bed but that is me. Some swear by them and last I looked Grizzly had their Parallelogram Jointer on sale for the same price as the Dovetail.

If leaning toward Grizzly I'd make a decision by tomorrow as the 10% discount coupon expires on the 15th.

- Ken.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
If leaning toward Grizzly I'd make a decision by tomorrow as the 10% discount coupon expires on the 15th.

- Ken.
Thats why I am asking this question today. Trying to decide which one to buy by tomorrow.

The GO656 is 795 while the GO490 is 925 so about 130 dollars difference. Hmm I was thinking it was more difference than that.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guess I was comparing the two with spiral cutterheads. I would really, really recommend that spiral head if you can afford it. It is so much quieter and you'll likely never have to replace blades under normal hobby use. Leaves a super smooth surface with a lot fewer chip-out problems.

It is more challenging getting the cosmoline off of though when you're cleaning/setting it up.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
A spiral cutter head would be nice but for the difference in price I can add a Byrd head to it later for not much more.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Guess I was comparing the two with spiral cutterheads. I would really, really recommend that spiral head if you can afford it. It is so much quieter and you'll likely never have to replace blades under normal hobby use. Leaves a super smooth surface with a lot fewer chip-out problems.

It is more challenging getting the cosmoline off of though when you're cleaning/setting it up.

+1

i have the 490 with a Byrd and am on year two without having to rotate a single cutter head.

regarding your original question however I have not compared the two types of beds side by side. I love my 490 but I would probably love the 656 too as long as it had the spiral head.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wayne, I have a DJ-20 w/ the parallel adjustment, and I find that I use it occasionally. When I start off w/ rough stock that has a bow or crook in it, I adjust for a thicker cut. As I get down to the final passes, I reduce the cut. The parallel mechanism makes it very easy to do so.

But as some others have said, the biggest improvement in planers and jointers is the spiral cutter head. What a difference.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have a dovetailed way jointer and it works fine. I 2nd the thoughts about a spiral cutterhead. If I was getting a new jointer, I would spend the extra money for the parallelogram table. If you tables are ever out of co-planer, you will have a built in adjustment to correct it. If you have a dovetailed way jointer and you ever have an issue, there is not built in adjustment. You would have to resort to shimming the outfeed table.

DWSmith

New User
David
I have used and abused a G0490 for some time now and can attast to the accuracy of the parallel adjustment mechanism. No dovetail ways to wear out and require shims, easier to operate and adjust and stays precise longer. I dumped a Powermatic 54A because of the dovetail ways and haven't looked back since.

Get the spiral head insalled. Saves time, money and frustration later.

Acelectric

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the advice.

I know I should just get the G0490x and be done with it but that is a lot of money to turn loose of right now. If they had a store close by so I didn't have to pay shipping I would go get one right now. I may just have to do without until the next deal comes along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS