To fill or not to fill, that's my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am working on a jewelry box and I've used some Ambrosia Maple for the top panel. I can't decide if I should attempt to fill the bug holes, and if I do, what would I fill them with. The box is going to get a shellac and lacquer finish, if that makes and difference in y'alls thoughts. Also this panel of Maple is already in the box, so that limits me on running it through a planer or hand planing to level any filler.
Ambrosia%20maple%20sample.jpeg

An example of the holes that I am referring to.
Thanks for any guidence y'all can offer.
Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Dave, could you use epoxy or CA to fill them but still leave the appearance of the holes being there? I am not sure how difficult it would be to level it out though if your filling got out of hand.

D L

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if you do not fill em you may get bubbles in the finish. epoxy with wood dust to match the darker wood around the holes would be good. i have used pencil lead grindings with fair results.

fred p

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Dave,
I picked a similar piece of wood for a box and did not fill the holes. The finish may run through, so you might want to place a piece of tape on the other side if the run might mar the appearance on the other surface. I chose the wood for its appearance and didn't want to alter that by filling. In the wood shop I get to make the big decisions.
Roy

Last edited:

Ken Weaver

New User
Ken Weaver
I've used the epoxy with sawdust in similar aplications with good results. In your case though the holes add contrast and character. If you have a scrap piece with similar holes, try it without the sawdust and see how it turns out. I think I'd try to save the look while skirting the problems of bubbling the finish.

M

McRabbet

How about adding a small brass plaque with an engraved tribute to LOYL? I think it would cover the holes and justify a tool or two!

Rob

BobN

New User
Bob
I just filled a small hole like that on some walnut. Since it's impossible to completely hide the hole, I fill it so that it shows up.

I use 5 minute epoxy, after I have mixed the 2 parts of epoxy together I take a can of black spray paint and wet the epoxy with the black paint and then mixed it again. After filling the hole and putting a finished on it I end up with a black dot in the wood and most people think that it belongs there.

Bob

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I vote for not fill. Thats part of the character of that particular wood. Don't the worms help give that type of maple its distinct appearance? Throw a little distressing in when you finish and go with it.

T

toolferone

Do NOT even think about filling those holes! That is what is what the wood is all about. However I do agree with watching the back side of the holes. Roy has the right idea about the holes.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think that I will consider filling the holes 8-O the problems are to great. What I think that I will do is to put some tape over the holes on the back side of the panel as I finish the front. The shellac I am planning on using will probably fill/seal the holes. Then once the top side is dry remove the tape and finish the bottom side.
Sound like a good plan??????

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
That sounds like it will work Dave.:icon_thum I look forward to seeing the finished pix. What hinges did you decide to go with?

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Did you do this already Dave? My only fear would be that the finish would not cover and seal the holes first time, but form a small crater that look weird in the top - let me know how it worked out. On those ambrosia bowls I turned I left the holes, but I was using a wipe on finish that didn't cause any problems. People do like to see the holes though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'm just about to get ready to apply the finish. I really want to use shellac so I can do the inside and out without any smell issue. Plus Woodguy recommends it's use on Cherry. I will spray lacquer (rattle can) on top of that so I can get additional filling if neccesary. I don't know any other way to go about it withoput filling the holes (don't want to) or using another finish schedule (kinda like my plan, but open to change) Shellac dries fast, I'll run a test scrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS