Time to buy a shoulder plane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

New User
Zach
Been using the Woodriver Shoulder Plane for a few days now and I am pretty impressed by it. I think I will keep it. It has made quick work of the shoulders I have worked on it so far. Thanks for all the input and advice. My next one may be a veritas though:gar-Bi

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Zach,

I'm going to say "no shoulder plane" (I'll explain below). But as far as shoulder planes, I like the LV most because of the adjustment screws and ergonomics. The LN is basically a clone of a Stanley. Great plane but adjusting the blade can be a pitb.

Explanation: They are called shoulder planes for a reason and I try my use for whats is intended for: shoulders -- not the faces of a tenon. But, we all do it anyway. The reason is that it is quite easy to create a sloping tenon if you don't hold it perfectly 90° to the shoulder.

IME the best method on large tenons like yours is a router plane. You can install an extended base. This ensures a perfectly flat tenon that is perfectly parallel to the face of the board - absolutely critical the longer the tenon is.

I will also use a rabbet block plane on large tenons.

BTW, both the rabbet block plane and shoulder plane are extremely useful tools I highly recommend them to all hand tools users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS