Three Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well, I finished the 1968 KLH speakers. They are almost 2ft high and the walnut veneer was looking sad. After the usual process of agonizing over what product to use, I chose gel varnish. Easy to apply and no tinting or staining was required. :icon_thum

Model20spkr_refinish.jpg

And a couple pixs of reclaimed cherry that wanted to be a box.

cherrybox_closed.jpg
cherrybox_open.jpg

Roger

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
WOW Roger! Thos KLH's turned out great:icon_thum! You must have sanded that veneer very carefully....
Nice job on the cherry boxes too!
Take care,

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Very nice work, Mr. D! I especially like the box. :eusa_clap
Any hints on how you made it?
I have a piece of cherry I've been saving for something just like that.
:notworthy:

JRD

New User
Jim
Roger:

You must have had a very light touch not to sand through the KLH Cabinets.

jim

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
The KLH's really turned out very nice, Roger!!!!:icon_thum Did you have the cones redone? Will you be putting them on stands? I have a pair B&W's that I have had for about 15 years. I put some "Tip-Toes" under them and man do they sound nice and tight! I run them with an old Quad 405 power amp. - See.... Your audiophile stuff is still in vogue!:eusa_clap

You've gotta give us some more details about that pretty cherry box, too!

Great work!

Wayne

b4man

New User
Barbara
Nice work on the speakers and the cherry box. The speakers were quite a find and you've made them look like new!:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Roger, the speakers turned out great...I bet better than they originally looked.
Did you cut the box out of solid stock? I really like it :icon_thum

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
You weren't lying yesterday when you said they came out nice. Better than new!
Of course, I like the box best of all - that's a Sapwood Original! For storing audio cables? :)

Steve W

New User
Steve
Those speakers look like my memory of first seeing a set in Tech HiFi back in the early 70's.

Love the figure on that cherry box!

erasmussen

New User
RAS
You got the speakers looking good:icon_thum
But the cherry box is great, I like the design:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Speaker cabinets do look great Roger :icon_thum If they sound as good as they did when new rock on dude

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work roger!:icon_thum didja do em 1 at a time?:rotflm: love the box!:wwink:

fred

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Great looking boxes Roger!!! That looks like a super good fit on the sliding lid dovetails or is that half-dovetails? Might be half dovetails but is a completely good job on the execution of the fit.

Jerry

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Roger,

Looking good!!!
Do you still have the reel to reel that goes with these? :gar-La;

Somewhere I believe I have some reel to reels of my father's band.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks for the positive remarks folks!
I was careful sanding the veneer but there were a couple of dings too deep to remove. :eusa_shhh
Doesn't seem to affect the sound :rogarHead
Had not planned on reconing, but I would like to have the capacitors replaced. Anyone good at soldering :rolleyes:

The box is two pieces . . . box and lid. And it required the use of every tool in the shop. :rolf: I drilled the inside with forstner bit, then routed, chiseled, sanded, and scratched with my fingernails to smooth. Next time, I will make a template for the hole and use top bearing router bit . . . next time :new_color

Appreciatively,
Roger

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
The speakers look great Roger, it's amazing how much stain control you have with a gel stain, isn't it ?

Jimmy:)

sapwood

New User
Roger
The speakers look great Roger, it's amazing how much stain control you have with a gel stain, isn't it ?

Jimmy:)

:eusa_thin Perhaps I need to clarify. It's clear gel varnish. No stain or tints were needed.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors