Thread "For Sawstop Owners" deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I deleted the thread "For SawStop Owners". The user who posted the thread, tommyt654 has a history of a grudge against SawStop, and his repeated postings show "baiting" or "trolling". I sent him a PM to please stop doing that.

Now, if he had added some discussion material on how wearing face protection, checking the saw blades etc. is important, I would have let it stand, but these one-liners are just to stir up trouble.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Ok, lets get cracking on that StopSawStop Plugin and Forum Class Action Lawsuit.

Good grief & good call.

Jim

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I received two PMs from tommyt654 in response. This one came in a few minutes after I pulled the thread:
tommyt654 said:
Bas, Your wrong about that, Its a safety warning for people who may have that blade still, Get over yourself and look past the Sawstop thing, This is about safety concerns not me or you, GROWUP SON.

This one came about 10 minutes later:
tommyt654 said:
Bas, Please remove me as a member from this website ., Its obvious that its you who have the problem with Sawstop and safety issues here. I,m trying to look out for my fellow wooodworkers,Since you removed an important post here that was about safety concerns of the tablesaw blades put on the Sawstop saws that may not have been recalled. It was an effort on my part to inform the public here as to a safety issue, Goddbye and good luck with this websites future endeavors,Tommy

I have a hard time believing tommyt654's motives here. The link he provided was not a general recall, it was about a lawsuit about one specific blade. There are many reports of issues even with top dollar Freud and Forrest blades over on SMC, there is no evidence that this wasn't an isolated incident. Furthermore, his post was a one-liner, what was the announcement about? SawStop doesn't US made blades? People sue SawStop? Wear eye protection? There are just too many ways for a thread like this to go south. His past postings certainly didn't provide him with the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, if someone wants to talk to tommyt654 about his decision to leave the site, that's fine with me. Otherwise, I'm happy to oblige his request.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I searched the Mod forum, he's come up quite a few times.

While I hate to lose anyone, if he'd like to leave, I'd not go to great lengths to dissuade him.

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Bas,
I got a very similar response from him when I made a simple modification from **** to heck in one of his posts...

I don't think he'll be missed.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I wouldn't remove anyone as a member. They can quietly remove themselves and it won't be us that pulled the plug on them. I don't think except for a member deceasing that anyone has ever been removed as a member. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

I do support your decision to pull it though.

Last edited:

b4man

New User
Barbara
I hope whomever can will remove him. If there's anything I can not stand it's someone "asking for it" and not getting exactly what they are asking for. If you know what I mean.

If he's DQ, unDQ him.

I don't appreciate the way he responded to Bas.

Barbara getting:kamahlitu

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I think we should let him pull his own plug. He's looking for one more reason to be angry; one more person to blame. I wouldn't give him the excuse. If he wants to be gone, he can go. If he's serious, he won't starting posting again in a few days... and I suspect he will.

His comments to Bas are condescending to the point of being hateful.

TracyP

Tracy
I hope whomever can will remove him. If there's anything I can not stand it's someone "asking for it" and not getting exactly what they are asking for. If you know what I mean.

If he's DQ, unDQ him.

I don't appreciate the way he responded to Bas.

Barbara getting:kamahlitu
He has responded that way to me on several occasions when I moderated him. He does not take moderation well at all.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm going out in left field here, but I read the link and it feel it is relevant to the site. Is there any way members can post this type of info for 'read only' purposes? I'd almost ask that it be included in the S & H Links section. Although it does not implicate SS in the case, it does stress the importance of proper blade care, sharpening, selection, and safety procedures.
I have to ask the question as well, are we moderating the post, or the poster? Granted, we see a lot of trolling here, but we have to have some way to keep this info in view.
We may ourselves be liable for failing to allow our viewers to have this and other valuable safety information. The overt act of deleting it may bite us.
JMTCW

Glennbear

Glenn
I'm going out in left field here, but I read the link and it feel it is relevant to the site. Is there any way members can post this type of info for 'read only' purposes? I'd almost ask that it be included in the S & H Links section. Although it does not implicate SS in the case, it does stress the importance of proper blade care, sharpening, selection, and safety procedures.
I have to ask the question as well, are we moderating the post, or the poster? Granted, we see a lot of trolling here, but we have to have some way to keep this info in view.
We may ourselves be liable for failing to allow our viewers to have this and other valuable safety information. The overt act of deleting it may bite us.
JMTCW

I do not see any implied or actual liability for NCWW. If there is indeed a hazard with a certain blade the proper authorities will address it. I regularly post CPSC recalls/warnings as soon as I receive them since I am on their mailing list. This was not presented as a safety tip. :wsmile:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I agree, had he posted it as a safety tip, with title like "Sawstop owners - you may want to read this if you are using your original SS blades" it would have been different.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I agree, had he posted it as a safety tip, with title like "Sawstop owners - you may want to read this if you are using your original SS blades" it would have been different.

Then do we rename the thread & move it, or delete it? What is our obligation to the site/members on this? From the Policies Page:
Threads, Posts, Comments When a thread, post or comment is contrary to policy, the moderator will make an effort to edit the offending material and leave the primary content intact. If that is not possible, the whole thread, post or comment will be deleted.

Last edited:

TracyP

Tracy
Then do we rename the thread & move it, or delete it? What is our obligation to the site/members on this?

Bas made the right decision in my opinion. I say we leave it in it's current state, or delete it. It should NOT be reinstated. Once a moderator, or admin makes a decision we should stand by it unless it is blatantly a bad decision, "we all make mistakes" but then we need to discuss it as a team and decide how to handle it. Tommy is a habitual offender where Sawstop threads are concerned. He has repeatedly posted threads and posts that immediately went south in the first couple of posts. He has an agenda where the sawstop inventor is concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS