Thought I would share my latest project

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
My oldest daughter just turned three and I was actually able to finish this project on-time... I guess. I had been working on this step stool for several months. All of that other stuff gets in the way... you know that 9 to 5 stuff.:roll:

My daughter needed a good step stool to reach the sink. Daddy needed a project to try out some new skills. The only metal in this project is the four hinges for the lids. Since I'm still pretty much a rookie, that's a big deal for me. Some of the skills I got to work on with this project included mortise and tenon joints (with and w/o shoulders), lap joints, frame and panel construction, mortising for hinges, spray finishing waterborne acrylic.

Since I knew I was going to paint it, I used pine 2x4's for the legs and frame, 1/2" pine ply for the bottom, 3/4" pine shelving for the lids and birch paneling for the front and back panel. The finish was Fuhr 9550/9100 Waterbased Acrylic Topcoat and Primer. That went on amazingly well, even for a rookie like me.

KStepStool_640x642_original.png

Let me know what you think.​

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Very nice :eusa_clap :eusa_clap I really like the design. I made something similar for my daughter, but the addition of storage inside is a great idea. BTW, beautiful daughter :icon_thum

Dave:)

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow!!! Looks like a great skill builder, and the storage compartments are great! Something like that was one of my first projects as well, but I didn't do nearly as nice a job as that!

clowman

Clay Lowman
That's a great looking step up for the little gal.. Just one question.. will the lid slam on little fingers?

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
My Since I'm still pretty much a rookie said:
Let me know what you think. [/LEFT]

Marvin-------that is a great looking project!! :icon_thum You will be heck when you do get experienced. Keep up the good work:eusa_clap :eusa_clap .

Jerry

T

toolferone

I think I have seen that piece in person. It wasn't glued together yet though. I am glad I got to see it done. It turned out great!

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Nice looking work!

I have built a few "bathroom" stools for my children and some friends. One thing I would suggest in the future it to make it as light as possible. They will get where they will need to get up to the sink to spill water all over the floor, and the lighter the better.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Excellent Job Marvin.:icon_thum I really like the front panels and the storage you built into it.

D L

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that looks really nice! Great idea to practice the M&T/frame and panel construction on pine. I like the look of the front panels. Most important, it looks like the customer's happy! That's priceless. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Chuck

MarvinWatkins

New User
Marvin Watkins
Thanks for all of the kind words guys... on the step stool and my daughter.

I did want to have some storage. I was a little concerned about the lids and the possibility of getting little fingers pinched. Fortunately, the lids are not that heavy. Our oldest has gotten her fingers under them a couple of times. As long as she is not putting pressure on the lid, there isn't any real problem. I do think about when her 1 year old sister may get her fingers in there and our oldest decides to have a 3-year-old-moment and push on the lid. The other place that is a pinch hazard is at the hinge on the lower level. If either of them get their finger between the backside of the lid and the upper panel (inside the hinge), the physics is working against them. Not sure how to resolve that one.

This was the first project that I decided to try making a full-scale drawing. As an engineer, I am very used to drawing scaled drawings and working from them. Lon Schleining was a strong proponent for full-scale drawings at a TWA workshop. I must admit, it made it easier to get measurements and check my work. Does the song, "One of these things isn't like the others" ring any bells...

I think this type of project is a great one for someone trying to pickup or improve their skills. Lots of joinery and sequencing issues to consider. For example, how many of you have spray finished inside a box? Of course, the list continues...

Tom, you definitely did see this project in the unfinished and unglued stage. All of the hardware came from your store. Your guys were a great in finding the right parts. When I brought it in, the stool was only dry-fit and I was pretty amazed that I could carry it around town without it falling apart. Big confidence booster!:)

Chuck, yes, the most important thing happened. My customer was very happy. The account is paid in full. My hugs and kisses bank is bursting at the seams!

Have a great day everyone.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Definitely two beautiful projects!

Can't wait to see what skills you develop by her 16th birthday :eusa_clap

Sapwood

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Beautiful work Marvin. Looking ahead a few years and I see that piece in a girls room with matching pieces making up a bedroom suite. Does she have her mother's eyes or her fathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS