Things to look for with used refrigerated dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I've got a line on a used Great Lakes GRF-40a-116 refrigerated air dryer capable of up to 40 scfm to work with my compressor (16 CFM @ 90, 14.1 @ 140 psi)

This particular unit uses R134A as the refrigerant, which is attractive to me.

Are there any testing procedures or things I should look for when checking out the unit? I would link to the manual, but the link on the manufacturer website is dead. Here's the product brochure for the GRF series. http://www.glair.com/Downloads/Brochures/GRF_Brochure_06.pdf

This unit is non-cycling, which from what I read is quite durable. It came out of a Chevrolet dealership that had it installed with an 80 gallon compressor in their paint shop, but they upgraded to all new equipment.

This particular unit was manufactured in 2003 and placed in service in 2004 and is supposed to be in 100% working condition.

I know that dessicant filters can get the dew point to way below 0*, but this unit presented itself at a price I can hardly refuse. I've emailed the company for a manual, but any advice as to the installation/plumbing would be great. It does have an electronically timed solenoid drain valve.

Tips/thoughts/comments etc appreciated.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ben, as I recall some air dryers were power hogs. You might want to double check the current draw so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises on your utility bills.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
1/4 hp compressor motor needs 435 watts @ 120 volts = 3.625 amps, so this one should be okay.

Thanks for the heads up and making me do the math, though! Good to know.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ben, that's great! It looks like you've landed a major score, as these units are not often found for a good deal.

As far as checking it out, refridgerated dryers work by cooling the air to condense the moisture out of it. To check it out, you can do two things. First, you can hook up a set of HVAC guages to it to check the pressure. Quite frankly, I would make this a "last choice".

My first choice would be to simply turn it on and put a gentle air flow through it. If the air comes out much colder than it goes in, the unit is working correctly.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS