They got me...

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Been resisting for years. Brought home a Kaypex today. Of course, not I have to re-do the station etc. I fell for it as I need to make several display cases and a couple of cabinets for the house and was just plain tired of having to tweak every cut. I have 15 picture frames to make. I wonder if it is accurate enough of if I still have to shoot every miter. Guess I have 30 days to find out.

First observation is when a sliver falls into the low trough, there is no easy to get it out. I of course will do a ZCI. On my Ridgid it was open and I had a dust collection port run under the saw. Worked reasonably. I get the impression I would do better using a vacuum style dust collector rather than the duct to the big cyclone. I am sure there are many ideas for dust collection on it.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I do not own a Kaypex but those that I know that do have them in their shops say they are outstanding machines. I hope you enjoys yours!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Measured: Big 5 HP dust collector hooked up to the tiny port, I get 1.1 M/s at the collection hood. With the Fein vac, I get 1.4 M/s. Pathetic tiny port I must say. Of course, using duck tape to adapt hoses at this point due to the Festool obnoxious proprietary size of everything. I knew that so not surprised. Next is to test with a regular shop vac.

Really needs a ZCI fence. Huge gap. I think a ZCI insert that is held in magnetically would make cleaning out the trough much better.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
On-sale cheep-o Ridgid shop vac pulls 2.4M/s so that is what is going to get hooked up.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My only Festool is my Domino XL. I did not like the price but I like the tool. I hope the Kapex is the same for you. I use a Bosch 5 meter hose with my domino and my Bosch sander and DeWalt track saw. The domino and tracksaw did not need an adapter and the Bosch sander uses the one that came with it. It is much cheaper than a Festool hose, I believe. My guess is it would work on the Kapex. This hose will also work on a Rigid shop vac (that is all I use).

fivemike

Austin
User
Scott, I can echo what Jim has said about the Bosch hose for Festool products (if you want to connect to a Ridgid shop vac*). I'm using the same hose (this bad boy), with my domino and festool sander and it works wonderfully with no adapter.

Funnily (luckily) the Bosch hose fits AROUND the Festool ports, then when it's time to connect it to a Bosch tool (in my case, the GCM12SD) slots INTO the port for the saw... Someone at Bosch knew what they were doing!

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have a friend who has me to come to his shop once a year to inspect and tune up all his shop tools. The Kapex after initial set up has only needed attention once and that was only to replace an extended fence. It is a solid, accurate, and dependable piece of equipment.

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
And so it begins, the Kaypex is just the bait. Their dust collector will set the hook. After that it’s the CT-Cyclone. Next thing you know you have a shop full Festool and an empty bank account.🤣

Sgtrombley

New User
Scott
I have had my Kapex for 3 years, it is still as accurate today as it was when I took it out of the box. I have mine hooked up to my Gyro700 Dust collector. In my opinion it works better than it did when I had it hooked up the my Festool Midi. The midi bags would fill up quite quickly.

Ricksmi

Rick
Corporate Member
I have had my Kapex for just over a year and find the accuracy of cuts, outstanding dust control, and quality of workmanship is outstanding. It is a tad bit expensive but the no-questions asked warranty and Festool support for life of the tool can't be beat. Before you know it your going to have a shop of Festool cause they are just that good.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Various bits of hose, got the vac hooked up. Just need to make a remote switch for it. I may use the DC port to make an "ambient" hood. I am still wondering why I got less airflow with the DC than with the vac. More experimenting, but at least I am in business so I can verify the alignment and get on with projects. 18 picture frames is next. Blade is pretty impressive. I will probably add a cyclone to the vac as the saw does make very fine dust.

I'll look at the Bosch hose. I use a Fein vac, Clearview mini cyclone, and connect to Bosch, 3M, Makita, Wen, HF handhelds. I have some generic hose but I need it a little longer for shop cleanup. That Bosch hose may fit with it. Anti-static would be a plus as even controlled to 50%, one can get quite a zap. I saw a objective, as in actual measurements, and the Makita vac/collector beat both the Festool and Fein. All three were judhged excellent. As I have come to expect, the "yellow" one was worse than HF.

Not going to fall for the Festool sickness. Actually, not sure any other power tool in on the table. Maybe a track saw and it would be a Makita. I use a Makita 6 inch for break down now and have not needed the precision of a track saw. I still have the table saw. If I could convert to a track saw and dump the TS, that might be an option. I'll see as my projects shift from furniture to smaller items. Every day I get better with the band saw and hand tools.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Picked up

Cen-Tec Systems 94698 Quick Click 10 Ft. From Amazon. Adapters fit for my 3M sander, Bosch sander, DIY Makita belt sander port, HF mouse sander, WEN hand planer, Ridgid router, and with a hose clamp, Makita router bases. Fits the input to the Clear View small cyclone I have on my Fein. So, my duck tape and foam adapter for the Kaypex feeding the Ridgid shop vac, all the rest of my hand held tools into the cyclone/Fein, and my stationary into the big Clear View.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I've seen videos on YT where guys 3D print exact-fit adapters for converting x-tool to y-hose. Everything I know about 3D printing couldn't fill a thimble, but it would be something to look into.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I know what you mean about the Festool sickness. I have a few things from them but am determined not to convert. I first got a hand sander that hooks to a shop vac. I wanted it to sand drywall. Works fine, paper is expensive (surprise).

Next I got a plunge base for my Fein oscillating saw. One of the Festool oscillating saws is a rebadged Fein so their base fit my saw fine. I wanted it to make plunge cuts in a stair tread to install a post for the hand rail.

The domino XL was the big purchase but I tried other ways to make mortises including a benchtop hollow chisel mortiser. It worked but took a lot of force both in and out and the resulting mortises were not very pretty. Router with a plunge bit made nice mortises but took a long time to set up. So I made the plunge (so to speak) and am glad I did. But I still have not purchased a Festool tenon or bit for the Domino. I make my own tenons and I use CMT and Amana bits.

I have a festool like setup on my shop vac but it uses the Bosch hose and electrical connectors like you find on computer power cords on the tools I hook to the vac, including the domino.

There is nothing wrong with Festools I know of other than the price. But it is a big obstacle for me. I could pay it if I decide the tool is important and I have. But in most cases there are other brands about as good for much less.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You should get one…it’s just money
Only half true. The other half is it is another rabbit hold to go down. I already have woodworking, My Triumph Stag, yard, house, and it never ends. Printers are not expensive, but ass a room, ventilation, dry cabinent...

zargon

Zargon
Corporate Member
On-sale cheep-o Ridgid shop vac pulls 2.4M/s so that is what is going to get hooked up.
Yup! That’s what I use with my Milwaukee in addition to a dust, Deputy in a 5 gallon bucket. Works like a charm and easy to clean!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS