Status
Not open for further replies.

SRhody

New User
Stacey
Had to put this in for two reasons:
1. NC State Engineering :mrgreen:
2. Engineering and wood.... :wwink:

This is woodworking but not quite what most of us are doing. This guy is building a car from wood, maybe even going over 200 mph.

http://www.joeharmondesign.com/

See for yourself. :eusa_clap

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Neat..... Thanks for sharing. But I am not sure this is the next level or a step back. I understand that the cars of the late 1800's and early 1900's have many wooden parts.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Morgan's still have a significant bit of wood in the chassis until sometime in the 1980's... perhaps even later. Trabant's in East Germany were also made using wood and a cotton/fiber/resin construction method.

trabant.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
An old friend has a Rolls Bentley, it has a lot of wood parts. Part of the body is wood covered with aluminum.

Oh, and this has been posted here recently.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Most all production automobiles had bodies framed in wood (ash or oak) and skinned with sheet metal. The high dollar imports (RR, Bentley) used a great deal of aluminum. I think that Packard was one of the first to get away from this practice in 1936 with their introduction of the smaller series cars.

DaveD

New User
Dave
There have been some videos and an internet site on some guy that builds 1/2 scale models of backhoes, tractor trailers, etc out of wood. Really impressive, I'll try to find the site. If i remember right he also allows vistors to come see his creations. the tractor trailer actually drives around. No, the engine is not wood.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, that guy's site has been linked here before, too. Not sure I can find it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors