The New H&W

Status
Not open for further replies.

The WoodButcher

New User
The WoodButcher
Well I think I'm gonna start sawing for Randy Wynn fulltime in my off time from my real job. I can saw lumber and sell the crap out of it on CL and other outlets without all the bickering over milling prices. Put the price on the CL add and it is what it is, then they have the option of looking elsewhere if they don't like my price. I really don't think I have ever treated a customer unfairly,... not knowingly anyway. Then if someone wants some logs milled, I can say whats it worth to you? If I like thier price I'll accept the job, if I don't,... I can say thats exactly why I don't mill for the public anymore, but I can sell you some lumber. After all I do have a great full time job as a crane operator and they treat me like a king.

Yep I think tomorrow I'll take my sawmill sign down and replace it with one that says Lumber for sale. I think that will remove all of the stress of mill pricing. :gar-La; Any thoughts on this idea are surely welcome.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Randy,

I think whatever will make you happy is what you should do, regardless of what anyone else has to say about it. It appears that you are agonizing about this a lot. No judgement, just observation. Since you have a full time job and don't necessarily need the money , or maybe you do, then do it (saw) when you want to, or not. I know it's not necessarily that simple but it should be, don't you agree? Anyway, I hope you find peace in whatever decision you make. Good Luck

Mike

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Do it however causes you the most stress.

I have had 3 separate instances where I have had a bunch of logs milled, and not once did I complain. I will admit I was in sticker shock one time, not because I was overcharged (he charged per board foot), but just at the sheer quantity of lumber I got as I severely underestimated the log yields. I What you have had is people that want to haggle over prices to the extreme. Unfortunately, they are going to be around on the lumber side as well. The good thing is, you can say no, turn around and go back to what you were doing.
I know quite a few people like this who will offer a lower price no matter who, what, when, or where. Trying to get a good deal always. Fortunately, most of the ones I know will still get it even if you do say no.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Randy, I remember when you were about to throw in the towel on the sawmill. That's a great thing that the full-time job is looking good, but don't forget about the sawmill and all of the folks that you've helped out. Things can change in an instant.

Best of luck,

nelsone

New User
Ed
Randy, have you ever thought about taking a course in small business? CPCC offers some great classes and they are affordable. Before you change course too often, learn how to run a business and put together a written business plan to help keep yourself focused on what you are trying to accomplish.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I think it is a good idea, Randy. "Lumber For Sale" say it clearly: for sale, not negotiation. Though you may cut someone a deal for a large purchase, or for taking lumber that is left over from other projects/bids.

truckjohn

New User
John
Yep,

I am glad you are moving on to something that makes you happier. You will probably find you had a couple of loyal customers who were easy to do business with.. and you will miss them.... It may be worth it to do the occasional job with those guys.... but only if it is fun for you to do it!

I think you found out the #1 reason why companies hire separate sales people... Those are the folks who deal with the Customer, write the estimates, and deal with the customers who don't want to pay... Which is probably 50% of the time... Being the Owner/Operator is a 2-edged sword.

I guarantee that half the customers walking into a Mechanics shop want to talk down the price to fix their car.... The sales writer's job is to say "We gave you a written estimate. Do you want your car back or not?"

Good luck with your new endeavor.

John

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Do it however causes you the most stress.

I have had 3 separate instances where I have had a bunch of logs milled, and not once did I complain. I will admit I was in sticker shock one time, not because I was overcharged (he charged per board foot), but just at the sheer quantity of lumber I got as I severely underestimated the log yields. I What you have had is people that want to haggle over prices to the extreme. Unfortunately, they are going to be around on the lumber side as well. The good thing is, you can say no, turn around and go back to what you were doing.
I know quite a few people like this who will offer a lower price no matter who, what, when, or where. Trying to get a good deal always. Fortunately, most of the ones I know will still get it even if you do say no.

Travis, when you are charged per FB the guy running the sawmill will produce the most BF he can from the log. Little to no attention is given to lumber grade, the idea is to yield as many feet as he can, so you pay more.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Travis, when you are charged per FB the guy running the sawmill will produce the most BF he can from the log. Little to no attention is given to lumber grade, the idea is to yield as many feet as he can, so you pay more.

That makes sense, and IIRC (it has been a long time) he asked me what I wanted and I told him to get as much out of it as he could. Again, IIRC, it ended up being a little over 2000 BF of white oak the last time I had it done, and I think he was charging something like 32 cents a BF.

Like I said, I have no qualms, and if the opportunity comes up, I would do it again. The one thing I did like was that he came to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS