The making of a chair at the Boulle school -- circa 1912

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
While doing some research I came across this video from 1912. It was made in France at the Boulle school about the process of making a chair. It's not a "talkie" and I can't read French. However, the images speak for themselves. The use of a spindle shaper to make a curved moulding (around 8 minutes into the video) is especially interesting (and terrifying). He does it freehand with no safety equipment.

At around 5 and a half minutes into the video he uses a special jig and saw to cut the shoulders of a tenon on a curved chair part. This is what led me to the video. The saw is a Scie Spéciale pour le Fauteuil, which translates to "Special Saw for the Armchair". I think I see my next tools to make -- the vise and this saw.

Enjoy!

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
That vise accessory is like a shoulder vise with two shoulders.
IMG_4756.jpeg

Not sure of any advantage over an end vise that I think you have on your bench. Main advantage for both is holding tall/awkward parts.

creasman

Jim
Staff member
Corporate Member
The main advantage I see is increased capacity. I'm limited to what I can fit into my wagon vise. The slot is 1-3/4" wide. The chair part he is tenoning would not fit. I can't make the slot any wider.

Also, I don't want to think too hard about it. I might talk myself out of making more tools ;).

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Also, I don't want to think too hard about it. I might talk myself out of making more tools ;).
Please don't think too hard...I would hate to think you would not be making any more tools!

I really enjoy watching old videos of craftsmen at work. There is a level of skill, pride, and accomplishment in all facets of what they do...from how they dress, the tools they used to the beautiful products they produced. While I can't remotely imagine wearing a suit and tie while working in my shop, the fact that they do says something about how they viewed their profession.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Thanks Donn I'm really getting slow these days with work. It just takes me sooooo long. Better than nothing really

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS