the Fun has Begun

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
As a follow up on a recent post-------the dogwood jewelry boxes are now in progress.

I always have doubts about getting the photos posted properly. The photos have been uploaded to "Smaller Woodworking Projects" (I think).

I will try attaching some here also.

Keep in mind the material was bandsawed to 3/8 thickness so I have really had to "massage" the stock to get usable pieces for the jewelry boxes. I wound up with a thickness of .3400 (which is a heavy 5/16). It is a good thing nothing is over 16" long in the project.:rolf:

If you click on the image it will give some titles for the photos. i could not figure out how to do it underneath the images.

To be continued as things progress.

Jerry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jerry, it looks like you are getting some usable stock out that mess, thin stock but usable for small boxes. I look forward to seeing how you continue to massage into works of art :icon_thum
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jerry, it looks like you are getting some usable stock out that mess, thin stock but usable for small boxes. I look forward to seeing how you continue to massage into works of art :icon_thum

I think they are going to be lizard boxes------------I am ready for them to be finished:rolf:. I do not know why I said yes to the man:BangHead:

Jerry

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Mr. Hartsell, I had every confidence that they would turn out great! Can't do much with an "Ol Master."

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jerry, those are looking great. You're not just Gittin 'r' done, you're making some really nice boxes.
Show-off :lol::lol::lol:

4yanks

New User
Willie
Jerry,

Very impressive, especially when you consider the fact that the stock is only 5/16" thick. Please keep updating us.

Willie

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Jerry,

Very impressive, especially when you consider the fact that the stock is only 5/16" thick. Please keep updating us.

Willie

Here is the latest progress report on the dogwood jewelry boxes. Been a lot of head scratching going on.:rolf:

J

jeff...

Jerry, Very nice work indeed. Question: how is that dogwood to work with? I passed on a few nice sized trunks for dog woods, only because I asked a few folks about it and they didn't seem interested.

Thanks

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Question: how is that dogwood to work with? I passed on a few nice sized trunks for dog woods, only because I asked a few folks about it and they didn't seem interested.

Thanks

Jeff---------Dogwood is really hard-----------every bit as hard as hickory or pecan if not harder. Extremely dense wood. I tried to compensate by taking lighter cuts in every phase of machining the pieces. Maybe 1/32 on the jointer until I got flat surfaces the full length if it was only on the outside edges. Then went to the planer with 1/64 cuts until the opposite side cleaned up full surface. Then I flipped the pieces over and continued with the light cuts intil I had an acceptable surface for the inside of the case. My blades have held up much better than I thought they would considering I did not sharpen before starting. I can tell from the noise they will need sharpening soon.:lol:

Being as thin as this material is, I have had a minimum of burn marks from sawing on the table saw. It was not a fresh blade but was in good condition.

The dogwood sands out really nice--------I first used the drum sander with 120 grit to flatten and get rid of any knife marks from the planer. Then I went with the ROS with 120-150----180--220--240--320--400. It is slick as glass and no finish on it yet.

The lighter cuts take much longer to process the material but I think it is worth it to have less pick out and maximize usage of the material.

Most people shy away from dogwood because of the hardness and time consuming processing. Plus you do not get much in width from dogwood as a rule. Thus more glue up etc. 5" was as wide as I could get from I had to start with.

It would have been much easier if the material had been stacked on a level place to dry. I had a hard time getting 16" lengths that were not warped or crooked or bowed too bad to flatten.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors