The ENTERPRISE, Her Flag Still Flies It Was a Good Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
As I drove to the area of piers I looked out my drivers window at the row of ships lined up on the piers, and there she was, Enterprise, 65. At pier 12 she was the first one in line, she belonged at the front of the line,for she was The Enterprise. From nearly a quarter of a mile away she filled the horizon. She was there in all here glory, magnificent, still standing tall and still standing proud. All I could think was getting to the pier and take in that great sight, one I had seen hundreds of times before. Walking down the pier I was greeted with this banner.

S_Final_Tour_004.jpg

There were four sailors in dress blues greeting the veterans and visitors. I walked to the nearest one, a seaman, turned to face him and said "27 years ago I walked that way". I pointed to my right, then saluted the sailor and asked "Permission to come aboard?" The salute was promptly returned and he spoke the words I wanted to hear "permission granted" he said. As i turned, the petty officer beside of him came to attention and returned my salute. I had arrived.

I did not think time travel was possible, but walking onto the ship took me back some 30 years. On the hanger deck I was greeted with the same sights, the same sounds and the same smells. I remembered all of them just like it had been only a few minutes. An old familiar sound came over the 1MC, the bell rang ding ding, ding ding, ding ding. "There are men working over the side. Do not rotate any propellers, cycle any rudders, take suction from or discharge to the sea". If I had heard that once, I had heard it a thousand times.

Some things took a bit of adjusting to. The uniforms were different, they were camouflage, not the dungarees I wore, Then, there were the ladies. There were no women on the ship when I left, nothing wrong, it was different. I had a very pleasant conversation on the bridge with with a young woman named Tiffany from Alabama. She was hoping to transfer to new duty station for another deployment and adventure. I sure hope Tiffany gets her wish.

After a couple of minutes at the welcome table a sailor mustered a small group of us and the tour began. First, to the Forecastle, that's pronounced foksel.

The anchor chains. Small aren't they. Yea, I keep a couple of links in my pocket for old time sakes.

S_Final_Tour_013.jpg

After that down and across the second deck. These passageways are smaller than I remember. That is our guide and part of my tour group

S_Final_Tour_024.jpg

Now up to the flight deck. Plain, simple and to the point.It says

BIG E

S_Final_Tour_078.jpg

A view of the flight deck from the bow. To give a scope of her size, that little dot just above the rear of the ship is the ships flag almost 1200 feet away. There are also a group of people standing there. In the foreground is one of the 4 catapults. Can you see 0 to 150 in less than 300 feet?

S_Final_Tour_100.jpg

A view from the bridge.

S_Final_Tour_111.jpg

A couple of other pics to show her tremendous size. There are more pics in my photo gallery.

S_Final_Tour_153.jpg

S_Final_Tour_165.jpg

I spoke with many great sailors throughout the day. I met a fellow and his family in my tour group, Bryan from Ohio, an Electricians Mate assigned to # 2 propulsion plant. He came on a few years after I left, but once we realized what we had in common.there was an instant bond.

It is odd how time changes our perspective. Years ago I could not wait to leave and go home, but I did not want this day to end, I wanted to savor the moment as long as it would last. While looking at some pictures of the history I was approached by a sailor with a video camera asking if I was a Big E veteran and would I give an interview. I was honored to give that interview.

The day had worn on, I was getting tired and knew I had to go. A different crew of sailors were manning the gangway. I walked to the first class petty officer and with another salute I was given permission to go ashore. I turned to face the flag before I walked off, and with one final salute I was assured of one thing.

Her Flag Still Flies.

S_Final_Tour_065.jpg

For more pics, here is the link to my gallery

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=2588

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I know the feeling. My first assignment is now at the bottom of the sea being used as a reef. "The mighty O cva34" My second the coral sea cva43 is who knows where.:icon_scra We docked alongside the Enterprise in Alameda once just before the "O" was decommissioned. From our flight deck we could look strait into her hanger bay.:elvis: She was a monster! I'll never forget how big Enterprise was. Amazing she could stay afloat! The newest carriers are even bigger!

tar1heel

New User
RJ
Bryan, this was a very moving tribute to a mighty ship and to the time spent serving your country. I was AF from '63 through '69 and looking back those were some of the best years of my life because I was honored to serve. I'm glad you got to make the trip.

RayH

New User
Ray
Bryan,

Thanks for the post. I had the privilege of visiting CVN 65 for an install in the CVIC oh so many years ago. Have never been so lost as wandering around that monster looking for my way back to the flight deck. Also got to chase her once in a "find that ship" exercise.

But I had more hair then.:(

Thanks,
Ray

Bryan S

Bryan
I know the feeling. My first assignment is now at the bottom of the sea being used as a reef. "The mighty O cva34" My second the coral sea cva43 is who knows where.:icon_scra We docked alongside the Enterprise in Alameda once just before the "O" was decommissioned. From our flight deck we could look strait into her hanger bay.:elvis: She was a monster! I'll never forget how big Enterprise was. Amazing she could stay afloat! The newest carriers are even bigger!

Fred I do remember The Coral Sea being docked in Alameda. We came from the yards in Puget Sound to Alameda in February of 82. Were you there then?

b4man

New User
Barbara
Bryan,

What an awesome experience. Thanks for taking us with you through your story and pictures.
To you and all who responded, thank you for your service and your contribution to make our nation great.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Fred I do remember The Coral Sea being docked in Alameda. We came from the yards in Puget Sound to Alameda in February of 82. Were you there then?

no.:nah: I was citizen first class by then.:icon_thum

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Bryan, did you see the article on the Enterprise in the News & Record this morning (p. A5)? If not, I have it for you and will bring it to lunch on the 20th.

Bill

LB75

George
That's great you were able to go back after all that time. I served on the Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) from 94-99 and was able to visit her 10 years later. It was amazing how every sound, smell and nuance of the ship came rushing back as if I had never left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS