The Delta 22-560 VS the DeWalt 734 and 733 planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello everyone

I'm looking into buying either the Delta 22-560, the Delta TP305 or the DeWalt 734 planer. And wanted all the experts opinions!:gar-Bi I'm leaning towards the DeWalt 734 at the moment!:eusa_danc

I read that the DeWalt 733 planer's blades need changed every 2-3 years :icon_thum compared to the DeWalt 734 blades at 1-2 times per year? :eusa_thin Is this true? I read it on amazon.:icon_scra

Thanks guys,:icon_thum

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I am sure the experts will be along but thought I would add my two cents. It is a matter of how many board feet and what kind of wood you use. The blades will last forever if you us it once a year and run 10bf of pine:eusa_danc. I think some folks think there problem is dull blades when it is the surface of the planer table. When my boards start to bog down a little I reach for my favorite slickum, spray a little on the surface, wipe and keep on planning. If you plane really hard woods, and a lot of it, stainless steel blades might be the answer. Yes they are expensive but they will pay for themselves in the long run.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I am sure the experts will be along but thought I would add my two cents. It is a matter of how many board feet and what kind of wood you use. The blades will last forever if you us it once a year and run 10bf of pine:eusa_danc. I think some folks think there problem is dull blades when it is the surface of the planer table. When my boards start to bog down a little I reach for my favorite slickum, spray a little on the surface, wipe and keep on planning. If you plane really hard woods, and a lot of it, stainless steel blades might be the answer. Yes they are expensive but they will pay for themselves in the long run.

Thanks I will remember that, Any adive on which planer to buy, by chance?:eusa_thin

Matthew

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
If it were me and I could afford the difference, I would get the DeWalt 735. I have it with the infeed and out feed tables and I think it is the best of that breed?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I agree w/Steve. I have the DW 735 and it has performed beautifully. Have run about 100bf of WO and about 300bf of cherry and some curly maple and it's still as sharp as the day I started it.

Dan C.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I think the life expectancy for lunchbox planer knives is very similar. Apparently, the DeWalt 735 had a problem with its knives for a short while a few years ago (they dulled almost instantly). DeWalt replaced those knives. Things have been good since.

Just to add more choices and confuse you further: The Ridgid 13" planer is normally $369, now on sale at 20% off. Not sure if it still comes with a set of replacement knives. That's probably the best value at the moment. The DeWalt 735 is considered to be the best of the lunchbox planers, but slightly more expensive. I had a chance to see the finish it produces, and it's excellent. But, sharp knives are key. For $300 (roughly the price difference between the two), you can buy a lot of knives!

gator

George
Corporate Member
Hello everyone

I'm looking into buying either the Delta 22-560, the Delta TP305 or the DeWalt 734 planer. And wanted all the experts opinions!:gar-Bi I'm leaning towards the DeWalt 734 at the moment!:eusa_danc

I read that the DeWalt 733 planer's blades need changed every 2-3 years :icon_thum compared to the DeWalt 734 blades at 1-2 times per year? :eusa_thin Is this true? I read it on amazon.:icon_scra

Thanks guys,:icon_thum

Matthew & Rachel
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

I can't speak to the 734 or 735, but I have a 733 and it is a good machine. However, the 733 is discontinued so you probably can't find a new one. As far as knives, the 734 and 735 use double sided disposable knives while the 733 had single side resharpenable knives. With the 734 and 735, I can see replacing them every 6-12 months depending on use. 733 knives should last several years but not without sharpening them, once again, every 6-12 months depending on use.

If you find a good deal on a used 733, I would go with it.

George

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
We have two DW735's and they have performed well for us. One has planed several thousand bf of cypress, cedar, oak, etc.
Blades stay sharp if you hit no metal.

Only flaw we have seen is the plastic fan shroud inside. If you plane a lot of knotty lumber, you may knock a hole in the fan housing. It's a tough little machine, does a good job, easy to adjust, and is accurate. We'd buy another one for sure.

I also have a Delta 22-580 and that's a good machine also. It's a 2 blade machine vs. the DW's 3 blades.

M2CW

:wsmile:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have the 734 whcih I bought in Jan. It is my first planer, so i am no expert, but I am well satisfied with it. You can get snipe on long or heavy boards if you do not lift them slightly right before they finish feeding. Altho it has a head lock, the head still rotates slightly when the first roller goes off the end. The same when feeding in a heavy board. Lift slightly as you push it in to overcome the flex in the infeed table, or adjust the infeed table up a hair. I have had no problem with the head creeping down as has been stated by some users of the new Ridgid. (the 4330. The 1300 has a head lock).

I have put at least 500 feet of pine ( and a limited amount of white oak and walnut) through it and the knives still leave a silky smooth finish (I have not rotated them yet) and altho seem expensive compared to the 2 blade one edge sets, you are getting three blades with reversible edges. The knives for the 734 are PN DW7342 and are different than both the 733 and 735. I tend to take light cuts, (1/16th max), which may be a factor.

The only thing I would change is the exhaust chute. It exits out the left side when facing the inlet side of the planer and is not reversible. As I like to stand on the left side (feed in with the right hand and retrieve with the left) that means I have to straddle the vacuum hose. The exhaust chute works well with my 14 gal Ridgid vac, but I also have an old 10 gal genie that I gutted the motor out of and have hooked up in line as a chip collector. (I really need to make a 33 gal one!!) If you have a DC, the exhaust chute is a 4", but comes with a reducer to 2 1/4" that fits the standard large vac hose.

It is everything I expected it to be at this point and I recommend it. However, I have 100 bf of 8/4 x 8" x 12' walnut sitting in the garage (er shop) right now hoping to become a table. I may be amending this after I finish with that!!

Go

M

McRabbet

I've run hundreds and hundreds of board feet of Birch, Red Oak, White Oak, African Mahogany, Cherry and Bubinga through my Dewalt 733. I hit a small nail in a piece of Red Oak about 18 months after I bought it, but it was way over to the right side and I worked around it (I didn't care it was there for rough planing down to 1/32" of my target thickness) until finally I put in my spare set of blades when I needed full width. That was a year ago and they are still good and sharp after several more hundred board feet of hardwoods. Like Go, I take gentle cuts, usually 1/32". I had the original set resharpened and they are good for many more years of service as long as the motor holds out. It is a great unit. My next planer will be at least a 15" with Byrd shelix cutterhead when somebody rich dies and leaves me a wad of money.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm in the DW735 camp. Mighty pleased...especially w/the Infinity blades.
Which ever one you go with plan to plane your rough cut pieces instead of lots of long boards. These really aren't built for that kind of duty unless you take very thin cuts and it takes forever. If the blades get a nick loosen the bolts and shift them 1/8" in each direction and cancel out the nick.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Well if you're gonna buy the 735 then you should have bought the 16" Jet from Tom Hintz for $600, after adding infeed/outfeed tables and a stand to the 735 it's about the same price:dontknow:.

Jimmy:)

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
I must chime in here to give a vote for the Dewalts.:icon_thum
I have owned a 733 for over 5 years now I believe. In that time I have planed over a 1000 ft of various lumber (90% hard wood) RO, WO, Maple, Walnut, etc.
The blades are about 55.00, but are resharpenable. I have had 2 sets resharpened twice.
Only other thing that I have had to do was to replace a drive belt. 30.00 including labor.
She has done me well and I am still using her today. My next one will be a larger one as I get impatience with it since I have used NCPETE's monster 20" planer.:icon_chee
As far as surface finsh, fantastic. SMooth as a baby's bottom.
Draw back is go slow and take small bites with hard woods.
Other than that You can't go wrong with the Dewalts.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I can't speak to the 734 or 735, but I have a 733 and it is a good machine. However, the 733 is discontinued so you probably can't find a new one. As far as knives, the 734 and 735 use double sided disposable knives while the 733 had single side resharpenable knives. With the 734 and 735, I can see replacing them every 6-12 months depending on use. 733 knives should last several years but not without sharpening them, once again, every 6-12 months depending on use.

If you find a good deal on a used 733, I would go with it.

George

Well I think I found a great deal on a DW733 so I am going to buy it this Saturday. It comes with two sets of knives since the guy forgot he had one set and then bought another. Then he found a great deal on another planer so he's selling the DW733. And when I get it I will start putting together the Cedar chest I promised a lady here in town. It's for her daughter.:gar-Bi

Welp thanks for all the great input everyone. I truely enjoy reading all your post even though I dont write to you all, know that I care.

Sincerely,

Matthew
Custom Home Audio
M&R Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS