That guy that asks a lot of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mad_Woodworker

New User
Shaun
Hello all, I'm The_Mad_Woodworker.

I'm sure to ask a lot of questions, count on it. In short, I'm 25, in college, an eagle scout, grew up in the country next to a horse farm, and my earliest memories of TV are episodes of the woodwrights shop. So as you may have guessed, I aim for hand tools and any thing else I can DIY. I'm a poor college student, so if i can make it, I do. If there is a cheep substitute (that is not sacrifice much quality) I go for it. And If its Free (or Cheap) I get it. There is so much more, but that's it in a nutshell. Is "Nutshell" a wood?

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Welcome Shaun. I'm sure you'll like this bunch of splinter makers. Questions are always welcomed too but the answers may or maynot be right. If you sift thru them I'm you'll always find the ones you want.:rotflm:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Shaun,

Welcome to the forum. We like lots of pictures. It could be pictures of works in progress (WIP), tools, shop, jigs, etc. Some have said that if there are no pictures, then it did not happen. The is the most knowledgeable and friendliest group you will find.

Steve

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Now for a proper welcome to our sawdust pile Shaun. There are a lot of great folks here, so do not be afraid to ask away. Someone will have the answer you need, share their knowledge and offer assistance to you.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Shaun. By all means, please ask lots of questions. I don't always know what question I want to ask, so I just read the answers to other people's questions. :rotflm: What a great way to learn. :icon_thum

Bill

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to our group! We love questions so don't hesitate to ask. We also love pictures. i would also love to see less expensive solutions you discover/develop along the way.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Hello all, I'm The_Mad_Woodworker.

I'm sure to ask a lot of questions, count on it. In short, I'm 25, in college, an eagle scout, grew up in the country next to a horse farm, and my earliest memories of TV are episodes of the woodwrights shop. So as you may have guessed, I aim for hand tools and any thing else I can DIY. I'm a poor college student, so if i can make it, I do. If there is a cheep substitute (that is not sacrifice much quality) I go for it. And If its Free (or Cheap) I get it. There is so much more, but that's it in a nutshell. Is "Nutshell" a wood?

Hi Shaun,
Welcome to the group. I'm a fellow hand tool user myself. I'm not sure what you have, but since you are a college student, I can guess that you don't have a lot of 1) money and 2) space. I good blog to follow is the toolsforworkingwood, http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...eCode=toolstore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html

Nice store that will make you drool, and you can't probably afford much in there, but both people who blog live and work NYC. Ben especially is a young guy, just starting out with an apartment, so he is used to dealing with not a lot of space or money.

A good bench is one of the first things you need to do any major hand tool wood. If you don't have a bench, you can throw one together with laminated 2x4's. You can make it as big or small as you want. I've got one based on this http://picnicpark.org/keith/woodworking/workbench/BobAndDavesGoodFastAndCheapBench-ne.pdf

It ain't pretty, but it's heavy and flat enough. I don't feel bad about beating the heck out of it or accidentally drilling into it. If I need a plane stop, I just screw a board into it. Need a bench dog? just drill a 3/4 hole, shave a little bit off a dowel and pound it in. It also has help me figure out what I really want on a bench, so if I ever build a good one, I'll have some idea.

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Welcome to the Wonderful World of transforming good wood into sawdust; what's left is your project. A lot of people here make some amazing "leftovers", so jump right in.:wink_smil
Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS