Thank you for having me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
I joined and started posting a couple of weeks ago. This morning I saw Gotcha6 had suggested to a new member that he introduce himself here. So I thought I would take his advice intended for someone else.

Having been around this site for a (short) while I have had the chance to get to know a few folks here, and to get the general tenor of the posts, replies, etc. It feels good - like home. Even though it's likely I may not meet anyone (by virtue of the distance between us), I find myself looking forward to reading the posts from the people whom I have come to recognize.
I hope I can contribute in such a way.

My list is long, and even though according to my wife I am ALWAYS in the shop, it seems the list never gets any smaller. I like it that way. There is always a new skill to learn, some joinery I want to get better at, try a new finish, and oh yes, build something. It's the making that's the most fun. Since I am not locked into any particular style or type of work, I enjoy making everything from boxes, to tables, to cabinets, etc.

I built my shop with two friends. It's fairly large, I guess: 32 x 50, has heated floors (so there's no ignition source), an upper level for storage, and is sited so I can look out the windows and see the beautiful landscaping my wife has done, the four dogs running around (we call our place 4DB Farm - Four Dogs Barking), and the sun coming up. It was a long time coming, and I never take it for granted - never.

I am all about efficiency, safety, and making my time in the shop less frustrating - so I make a lot of jigs and fixtures that are dedicated to those purposes. For example, I plumbed in a fresh air intake for a supplied-air respirator to keep the filter from clogging with finish overspray, I have a several jigs for the tablesaw that are perfectly tuned for miters, tenons, etc., an excellent dust collection 'hood' for the RAS (that I got from YouTube), custom made drawer dividers to locate special tools so that they are always where I expect them to be (this took me years to finally get to and what a difference it makes! I never appreciated how it would affect me by opening a drawer and instead of having to dig through everything to find what I want I now just 'select' it.).

I work with all materials and finishes, and I will make anything that piques my interest. So I am in constant learning mode. Even if it's something I've made before, I believe I can do it better this time, and so, I am also in constant pursuit of perfection (I may have gotten close a time or two ;) ).

One of these days I'll try to put together a gallery - just have to learn how.

Anyway, I am rambling as I am given to do. Please bear with me, and thanks for having me!

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I am glad you have joined us. If the picture that you have uploaded to your gallery is your workshop, then that is one good looking shop.

We have members from all over, including some international members. I would not be surprised if we do not have some members from your area. Also, many of our members travel, so I would not be surprised if you get to meet other members sometime.

We have many events where anyone can participate. We have new member chats and guest speaker chats. I hope you will plan to join us for these chats.

A lathe was donate to the forum (Goodwill Lathe) and it travels around to different members about once a quarter. I think it was in the northern Virginia area recently.

There is an article that gives instructions on how to upload pictures. Since you have been following posts for a month or so, you probably already know that we love pictures.

Welcome to our virtual dust pile.

Steve H.

toolferone

New User
Tom
Is this your shop?
DSCF2948.JPG

It is beautiful! I look forward to more pictures. And also, welcome to the sawdust pile.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. Sounds like you and I think alike when it comes to our shop. I too like mine to be well organized and efficient. It drives me crazy when I can't find something, or don't have the right tool for the job. And we even have the same color scheme for our shops: red and white. Although mine looks more like a reclaimed stable, whereas yours looks neat and fresh. :gar-Bi

Bill

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great to have you here. Ask questions, offer advice when you can, and post lots of pictures. We love to see pictures of shops and finished or work in progress.

- Ken.

wdwrkr

New User
wdwrkr
Thank you everyone for the warm greetings. Reading them was a great way to start my evening.

I appreciate the compliments about the shop. I designed it to fit in with where we live - lots of barns and stables.
I made the cupolas and copper tops. Each is three feet square. Getting them up the ladder was a real trick.
Also made the doors. Very interesting construction. One day I'll explain on one of these forums.
I'll get going on some pics and get them posted. I agree with the comments about pics! Love 'em..

I look forward to meeting everyone (virtually at least) and learning from some amazing woodworkers!

Bryan S

Bryan
Welcome to our humble little sawdust pile, glad you joined in. You are defiantly right about one thing, there are some amazing woodworkers here to learn from. If I live long enough, or possibly in another life i may become one of them.

I see you have already figured out how to upload pics, but we do love pictures and here are 2 links that will help explain how to upload pics to your gallery and post them.

To upload pictures

To post pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors