Temporary gluing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I am making my first two cam whirligig. It is my own design. I want to temporarily assemble the whirligig to (1) make sure I have the right placement of the two figures and (2) confirm the u-bend in the drive shaft works properly. Clamping is not practical. What can I use to temporarily bond the various pieces together that would lend itself to easy breakdown and cleanup?

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
I have heard that gluing pieces together with a piece of paper between works. You can separate later on the paper line...

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I have heard that gluing pieces together with a piece of paper between works. You can separate later on the paper line...

That is what I was thinking about. Try a sample using the wood and the thickness that you need for the whirligig. Sounds like a fun project.

Red

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Brown paper works fine if you don't need to save both faces and your workpiece is not prone to shed face wood.

BUT as Tarhead points out, hot glue is some helpful stuff in the shop. Get to know it and you'll be surprised how much you use it.

stairwyz

New User
Stair Guy
I've used rubber cement to temporarily bond wood together and it comes apart easily and can be scraped off without much effort. The same stuff you used in grade school.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Got a hot glue gun? There are low tack glue sticks.
Thanks for the advice. Where can I find low tack glue sticks? I just tried the multi temp ones my wife uses. It sure helped the set-up of the whirligig but took a while to remove.

harpone

New User
Harpone
Never have used hot-melt, but it's an interesting solution to your question. Found this tidbit on how to remove it very simply.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easily-Remove-Dried-Hot-Glue-aka-Hot-Melt/

The next question is: "How well does a previously hot-glued wood surface take wood glue?. Or maybe you could just reglue it with hot-melt after tweaking the alignment and function? :dontknow:

Thanks for your input. I tested the alcohol removal trick and it worked pretty well. When I actually glued the arms to the figures, where the glue is sandwiched, the glue was more difficult to remove.

harpone

New User
Harpone
I've used rubber cement to temporarily bond wood together and it comes apart easily and can be scraped off without much effort. The same stuff you used in grade school.
Thanks for the advice. I tried hot glue first because my wife had the gun and glue sticks. I will keep the rubber cement idea to try on a future project.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
David,
I just asked my wife where she gets low tack hot glue and she informed me that it is not hot glue but glue dots. :embarrassed: Sorry for the misinformation! They are on a roll and she gets them at Michaels or AC Moore in the glue section. They turn into the sticky (we call them Boogers) stuff like they use on credit cards you get in the mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS