Template Tip

charlessenf

(;harles
Senior User
Nice tip! Learning about CA and Accelerant. Just used some HFT GEL Super Glue and some of the sanding dust from the sander's collection thing to fill some nail set holes and a couple of less than perfect miter joints for a project to be painted.
Saw a TOH show where a fellow used CA Glue as a finish coat and several folks using CA and Accelerant along with regular wood glue. My experience with glues and similar is that they do NOT store well outside a temperature and humidity controlled environment. So I've not run out to buy a pint of the stuff yet, but the HFT Jell SG has worked nicely for me with some of that plastic base molding. I can assemble the sections turning one or more corners before nailing the stuff in place. It helps as the base flexes where the wall fails to conform to expectations while the joined corners hold square.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks @Barry W GREAT tip and with Bruce's (@junquecol) suggestion - helps you think a little "out of the box" of where you want a harder surface, this would solve the problem!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Before I ever heard of super glue we used Elmer's white on MDF edges for hardening the edges.
Without something on the edge of MDF the fuzzy 'grain' will telegraph through paint.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
@charlessenf , regarding storage of CA glue, I've had a couple of bottles stored in my shop fridge for over four years and their contents are still good. Of course I have to use pliers to remove the bottle tops.;)

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I had some in the fridge and was asked "Why is YOUR glue in MY fridge?!"
I said "Well for heaven's sake I hope you didn't eat it or put it in OUR food!"

And that is how it all started officer....

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
I had some in the fridge and was asked "Why is YOUR glue in MY fridge?!"
I said "Well for heaven's sake I hope you didn't eat it or put it in OUR food!"

And that is how it all started officer....

Yucca! Yucca! Yucca!:cool:

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Lyle Jamison stores his CA glue in his shop, uncovered/unsealed. I believe the shop is conditioned. Says it doesn't air harden and needs a tight space to seal/hardened. YMMV.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Before I ever heard of super glue we used Elmer's white on MDF edges for hardening the edges.
Without something on the edge of MDF the fuzzy 'grain' will telegraph through paint.
I always used spackling in the tiny tubs from Lowes.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors