Teak wood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
I waould like to make some chairs for my parents. I think that I would want some that I could mill down to 1 inch thickness and some 3/4

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I haven't seen it for sale in a while, but the last time I saw it I think it was running around $16 a board foot. Yes, I wrote that correct, I think it was sixteen dollars a board foot.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
The last time I bought some in the rough it was from the Raleigh Hardwood Center. I am not sure but I think I paid more than $16 a board foot for 5/4 rough sawn teak.

It was beautiful stuff when I finally got it worked but planing that stuff ate up planer blades on my lunch box planer like you wouldn't believe. It is a wonderful choice for outdoor projects but for all the trouble associated with working with it I will never work teak again unless I have larger equipment and it is not likely I will ever have larger equipment.

Have you considered cypress? Heart cypress is much easier to work and will last a long time outdoors. Just a thought.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Jon: I'd sure give some consideration to cypress. Check out the adirondacks and rockers in my gallery. Works easy, should hold up well, especially if you put a finish on it. Just a thought.

Pokey

New User
Jerry
World Panel Products, Inc has a good selection of Teak. They supply boat builders, but they sell to anyone. The company is located about 1 3/4 hours east of Raleigh. The phone number is 252-794-9944.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS