Teaching in the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
AND a stealth gloat!

My 3rd grade son is starting to learn about angles and division in school. He went out to the shop with me today, and received a continuation on those lessons. I think he ACTUALLY enjoyed it!

I showed him how two 45's make a 90 both mathematically and in the real world. We did the math on paper using division, and art (so to speak). Then I mitered a 90 and showed it to him. It took a few minutes, more like two hours, but he finally saw it.

He especially likes my new wixey digital protractor (the stealth gloat). I know, no pictures and the gloat dudn't exist... You'll just have to take my word for it til I member to take a pic.

I love teachin' him stuff, and more important he LOVES learnin' stuff from the ole man.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hey Matt,

That sounds like you had a terrific day. Also sounds like the bonding was better than learning math. Some years back when my granddaughter was in middle school, she came home with a "project" that had to do with shapes. She was supposed to make up some shapes in 3D. In other words she had to do something other than draw them on, or cut them out of paper. We went out to the shop and cut up some scrap poplar into squares, rectangles, triangles, and I'm not sure what else. She was enjoying the process so we put some gel stain on them and then a couple coats of poly. When they were finished, she broght them to class... the teacher never did send them back...

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Awesome Matt! It's gotta be nice to share great time like that and also be able to teach your son something that is valuable in real life. :icon_thum

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Thanks guys it really was a good day.

Trent, with any good luck you too will have a little one to share your wealth of knowledge and skills with. That will be one lucky child.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Enjoy the times you have teaching your children. In a few years, they'll think they know more than you. It was amazing how much I learned while my son was in college. When he left I was an idiot, but I was one of the wisest men he knew when he returned. :wsmile:

Last edited:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
You maybe just started him down the path of woodworking with that shop lesson. Great job!

Red

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I'm sure I had way more fun than he did, but he certainly thought the digital protractor was kewl!

Chip off the old block... A toyl lover :gar-Bi

Dragon

New User
David
Way to go Matt.:icon_cheers Both my boys are in SC now and I don't get to see them much anymore. When I had them at home I tried to teach them what they needed to know to be self-sufficient and make it hard times. Back then, I was a royal PITA and they took great pains to let me know that. Now, a few years later, that's changed to, "Damhikt" Dad, you were right. You told me this and that and I thought you were just being a harda%# but you were trying to teach us. Glad you were there when we needed you." It just don't get no better than that guys.:notworthy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS