Tapping into the brainpool AGAIN...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
OK, part 2. As I prepare to get started in this [strike]obsession[/strike]...uh, hobby, I am curious as to the views of those who are far ahead of me. Specifically, I want to ask opinions of this group as to the suggested materials to begin working with. Most of the work I've done so far is with lower cost sheet goods (Sandeply, mostly) and some S4S Poplar and Oak from BORG. What materials would provide decent looking pieces and yet not kill me to discard/toss when my many mistakes will be made? As for tools I have a BT3000 table saw and benchtop Northern Tools drill press; otherwise all are corded/cordless power tools.

Thanks in advance for the help!

In case I wasn't clear in the original post, I have no access to planer/jointer, so I think I'll have to use S4S or sheet goods, unless anyone can teach me how to plane/joint some other way.

Last edited:

gator

George
Corporate Member
I know its not what you wnat to hear, but hardwood lumber is not cheap.

In the case of furniture pieces, it is acceptable to use matching hardwood veneer plywood for bigger panels, shelves, doors, etc. But then ply is not cheap either.

If you make smaller items, such as boxes, cutting boards, jewelry boxes, or picture frames then you can use 'shorts' (cut-offs) which are usually less expensive (per board/foot) than full sized boards.

The first, best thing you can do is to stop using the BORG and check out the suppliers listed in the wood suppliers section of this forum. Places like The Hardwood Store will have a better selection and at a lower cost than the BORG. These are the places you will find 'shorts'.

If you have time to dry the stock, you can get really good prices from people like Jeff or Kyle here on the forum. You will need a year or so before you can use the wood though. And it will have to be stored correctly (stickered, covered, etc).

George

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I started with red oak, Poplar, and pine. Poplar is a hardwood, but it isn't that hard, and red oak is price pretty well. I would NOT buy any hardwood at the BORG. I have bought their 1x12x8 number 3 pine boards, but I pick through them pretty heavily to get decent ones. The pine I have used for internal pieces and other stuff. Since it is cheap, it doesn't hurt too bad when you screw up. As for sheet goods, MDF is good for jigs and stuff. Although heavy, it is pretty flat, stable and consistent.

IN general as well you can shop around for wood. You will find people selling it that have air dried it, and it is carried at most hardwood stores, and is readily available.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Jerry,
I can help with your lumber if you get it in the rough, you can come over and use my planer and my drum sander to get it where you want it anytime friend. I stated out with pine, making everything under the sun, and then went to oak. Now I use everything I can get my hands on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS