Tall case clock

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Dan thanks, believe it or not the top coat on the clock is my old standby, Waterlox OSF applied with a rag, three or four of the tightest coats of Waterlox applied over dewaxed shellac. Mahogany is my favorite wood, sadly quality Mahogany has pretty much become unobtainum

fjdog

New User
Roland
Very nice, and looks quite true to the original (at least in the photo). You must have a few hours in that one!

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Very nice, and looks quite true to the original (at least in the photo). You must have a few hours in that one!

The photo’s you linked to from the Met, were exactly the same photos I used when modeling the clock, along with photos I took during two separate visits to the Met. The photos I took were mostly detailed photos of areas of the clock that couldn’t be seen in the Met photos.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Matt, I would estimate that 70% was done via hand tools.

All the straight moldings were done with hollows and rounds, curved molding were carved. Reeding on the the various columns were done with a LN 66, the fluting was done with a router. The flame urns were turned on a lathe, the pedals and leaves on the bottom of the urn were carved as was the the flame..and last but not least, the Newport shell on the waist door was carved and the door panel was shaped with a hand plane..

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS