tablesaw safety question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I just turned my tablesaw on to cut a dado cut in my routertop when I heard something hit the floor behind the saw. I turned it off and found a piece of metal about 1 1/4 inch long. It is about 1/8 inch on all four sides. I have looked all over the back and can't determine where it came from. Any suggestions? Afraid to run it now. Lorraine have posted a pic of it in my gallery. Someone move it for me please?

100_2348.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I don't know what that would be from? - My recommendation would be to remove the blade and turn the saw on to see what happens at least then you know won't send a blade flying in the shop!

M

McRabbet

Lorraine,

I added the picture to your post. I agree completely with Mike Davis' observation -- it is almost certainly the key that fits into and locks the pulley to the motor shaft or to the arbor shaft. DO NOT RUN YOUR SAW AS YOU CAN DAMAGE THE KEYWAY AND UNPLUG THE SAW.

Start at the Motor pulley. There should be a set screw (or two) in the pulley; check to see if there is a key protruding from that pulley and if yes, it is from the arbor shaft pulley (Make sure the set crew is tight). If no key is showing, loosen the belt and see if the pulley rotates freely on the shaft (if the set screw is missing, it flew, too and needs to be replaced). Note the alignment of the belt/pulley on the shaft (make a triangular file scratch on the shaft at the pulley hub) and pull off the pulley. Insert the key into the shaft and tap the puley back on to the correct position. Tighten the set screw(s) and re-tighten the belt. If it is the arbor pulley, it may be harder to get at, but the procedure is basically the same.

HTH.

Rob

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
I'm with Mike. I would bet it's a key for one of the pulleys. Look at the motor pulley and the arbor pulley but I'd bet on the motor pulley.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Lorraine, forgive me if you already know this, but here's a picture in case you're not exactly sure what everyone above is talking about. I agree that it's most likely the key from one of your pulleys.
pulley.jpg

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Thanks to everyone for the prompt help. Carried my husband out and yes it was the pulley on the motor. Got it fixed and running quickly. I just keep on learning something new in that shop. I knew it came from the saw but couldn't figure where. Thanks again guys. Lorraine

dtomasch

New User
David
This is this site at it's best. Thanks to all for great advice and info. You all just saved some blood or tool damage. Its not even my trouble, but I can guarantee that if i find a 1/8 " sq "Key", I'll know what to do with it!:eusa_clap

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
It was my problem and I had no idea where it came from but I knew where to go to find out the answer. Thanks again to all for the help. I have always been able to get help when I come to this site. Lorraine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS