tablesaw disk sander

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Anyone use one of these? I am going to try making a curved template for my router this coming weekend and since I don't have a sander, I thought I would give it a try rather than do it by hand with a sanding block. Not sure if the tablesaw might be to fast, etc.

Thnx

129272_230.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1809

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Anyone use one of these? I am going to try making a curved template for my router this coming weekend and since I don't have a sander, I thought I would give it a try rather than do it by hand with a sanding block. Not sure if the tablesaw might be to fast, etc.

Thnx

129272_230.jpg

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1809

Steve,

If you jump, please let us know how it works. I have an el-cheapo benchtop saw I've been considering using this on.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I use that exact one. It actually works really well. You can get many different grits for it - I keep an 80 grit on it.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
I have one that I would estimate to be 18 years old and it is smooth as silk.It's about 3/16" thick and I keep 80 on it but keep an assortment on hand.I also use it as a alignment plate when I'm tuning up me TS.I think it came from Sears.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I also have one that is rather old. As a matter of fact, I used it just last night. Due to the speed of my table saw, I use either 100 or 150 grit paper. Fresh 80 grit paper at the speed my saw turns at would really do a number on my wood. Too much too fast. It you are creating a bevel edge or need to remove a lot of wood due to poor bandsawing, the 80 might be a good choice.
Changing the sandpaper is a little messy but the old paper will come off beter with a little heat (hair dryer). Fresh adhesive and paper and you are ready to go.
I like mine a lot. For large or long curved peices, it works great.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Mine will work with the regular throat plate but not with a zero clearance plate sized for a normal saw blade. I have two different grits on the two sides, however, which makes it thicker. My saw (a Ryobi BT3100) turns kind of fast, about 5500 rpm, but I would say it is a bit fast for sanding. It works but you need to use a light touch or you burn the wood. It takes off material fast enough that a light touch is a good idea anyway. I don't use it a lot but it works fine when I need it for something.

Jim

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
I wouldn't use it. Table saws are not designed to take lateral loads on the bearings. Unless you have the lightest touch , the lateral force will wear out the bearing prematurely and the cut quality will suffer.
..just my $0.02
Bernhard

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I had one years ago. It works but use it with a light touch to protect the saws bearings. As I recall it would load up and burn fairly easy....but it has been a long time.

Regards,

Bill

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I wouldn't use it. Table saws are not designed to take lateral loads on the bearings. Unless you have the lightest touch , the lateral force will wear out the bearing prematurely and the cut quality will suffer.
..just my $0.02
Bernhard
The bearings in a table saw (6203 being the most common) are radial ball bearings and will take lateral loads, just not as much as a tapered roller. 6203 bearings are used in almost everything. One of the more common uses is the belt tensioner on your car.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I had considered using my dad's old, nearly worn out, benchtop Delta for just that purpose, but then my brother absconded with it (it's fair, he needed something for a saw). I will someday search for another similar benchtop saw to do that with, and will probably put a router speed control on the saw, to reduce the disk speed. Initially, I was concerned that there would be issues with bearings like Bernard mentioned, but then I realized I would never use the machine as a saw again, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS