Table saw - which is the better deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgarner

New User
Chris
I am in need of a GOOD table saw, and a router table would be a big plus. Here is a nice home-made combo (without router included) with a VERY nice fence system. The model on the saw is Craftsman 139.299315. I have struck a verbal deal with the owner for $550.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1837510474.html

Here is option #2. It is NOT like the model pictured. This is a contractor's saw, but a Delta x5 nonetheless w/ 32" fence. Also talked to the owner and he is pretty firm at $400.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/tls/1833748088.html

What is the best deal? Are either a good deal? Thanks!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Tough call. The Combo package has a lot of nice extras. The fence is very cool, and having a router table and custom storage underneath can be extremely valuable....if that fits within your shop But, it's not the greatest of saws. A big factor is how flat the custom wings are with this setup. The Delta saw is more conventional. It has a little more power and would have a higher resale value.

Which is the better deal? If you count $100 for the Craftsman saw, $300 for the rails (50% new) and $150 for the router lift (50% new), you get to $550. That's a decent deal by itself, and you get the storage cabinet, casters etc. for free. It would help to know the specific model, but the other saw appears to be a used contractor saw for $400. Not a bad deal, but considering the recent sale of the Ridgid TS3660, it's nothing special.

How long do you plan to keep the saw? The Incra rails and lift would still be useful if you ever decide to upgrade to a true cabinet saw. And the storage cabinet is still a cabinet even if you take the saw off.

So, the first one is the better deal, but you have to want all the elements, and it's only useful for a woodworker, not a general contractor. The second one is not as good a deal, but appeals to a wider range of buyers. My opinion anyway.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Chris, there are generally four classes of table saw, from lowest to highest: benchtop, contractor, hybrid, and cabinet. And although this is a gross generalization, you can usually expect to find better quality and power the higher up that list you go. Price follows the same pattern.

Your two links are to saws from each end of this spectrum. It is my opinion that a benchtop saw (the Craftsman) will always be a low end saw, no matter how much investment is put in to the supporting table, fence system and accompanying router table. Don't let accompanying features distract from the fundamental capabilities of the saw table, motor and drive system, arbor, etc.

[Which isn't to say that a benchtop is a bad choice--it might be ideal for someone who has to move the saw every day (contractor), can only invest a small amount (college student), a home owner looking for a "one-job" table saw, or a hobbiest woodworking looking to make just an occasional cut in a not too precise fashion.]

The second link leads to a Delta cabinet saw, rated at 3hp and as fully capable a saw as most of us would hope for in a lifetime. Not that certain North Carolina Woodworker member shops don't have monsters exceedingly beyond it, but it is a perfectly good saw for a professional.

These two saws are so vastly separated by quality and capability, I have to ask the most basic question: what do you need your table saw to do? Will it be moved frequently? Do you have 220 power? Will it need to hold a dado set? Will you be cutting thick hardwood stock (power)? Is cut precision relatively unimportant (framing or flooring job) or do you expect to make furniture? Do you hope to upgrade in the near future or will it likely have to do for the foreseeable future?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
First - what kind of work will you be doing?

I'm right there with Bas. I can't tell much about the craftsman saw - is it direct-drive or belt-drive? If the latter AND the tables are nice and flat (have you put a straightedge on them?), then that is not a bad deal. I, personally, don't like the router table on the saw table. Been there, done that, when I was in a much smaller shop. If you are tight on space, his setup is nice and the extra storage below is a bonus. That's a good fence and router lift. Have you given the saw the nickle test?

I have a much older delta contractor saw and it does everything I've asked of it building several pieces of furniture, so I don't think you can go wrong with that. You might be able to do better than $400 for a good contractor saw if you are looking hard for a bargain.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I'm personally going to have to go with option A. The picture for B is misleading if it really is the contractor saw and not a hybrid. I'm also not up on my craftsman saws enough to know if the version pictured is the direct drive model or one of their contractor saws on a custom cabinet. If the latter, and it's in good shape then I think the excellent Incra addons (I have this fence system, it's REALLY cool), table extensions, and custom cabinet put it over the top. Also, as BAS mentioned, if you later decide to upgrade the table saw you can keep everything but the craftsman...

Travis

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
BTW,

If it's a decent contractor's saw you want, Lowes is blowing out the Hitachi C10FL at $399. They might be hard to find in your area, there are several in the Raleigh area still. The internet is saying there is only one left in North Charlotte Lowes (the only one I found in the Charlotte city area, you might find one further afield):

http://www.lowes.com/pd_159372-46578-C10FL_0_?selectedLocalStoreBeanArray=[com.lowes.commerce.storelocator.beans.LocatorStoreBean%4028db4c82]&langId=-1&Ntt=c10fl&state=NC&storeNumber=2348&N=0&Ntk=i_products&zipCode=28213&ipTrail=65.190.153.32&y=0&x=0&newSearch=true&ddkey=http:LowesIframeTransport&productId=1038299&city=CHARLOTTE&address2=&catalogId=10051&address1=1100+CHANCELLOR+PARK+DR.&errorURL=UserAccountView&storeId=10151

That saw's gotten lots of great reviews, you can look them up online. I'll be honest though and give you the same advice everyone's given me - wait and find something 'hybrid' or 'cabinet'. Those offer a body mounted trunnion (more stable/accurate), often more power and often a riving knife (more safe).

Dean

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Wow. Thanks for all the positive response!

First off, let me tell you what I plan on doing with this saw.

It will be a replacement for my POS Skil 13 amp tabletop w/ stand. POS is really an understatement. But it was FREE.

I mostly make cornhole games, and have to rip 4x8 1/2" Oak and Birch regularly. I do this with my circular saw and guide. But I want to a table saw that will accomplish this job. I need the saw before I can build a suitable outfeed table.

Currently I am building a dollhouse loft bed for my daughter's 3rd birthday. When I finally managed to nearly kill myself with my Skil by trying to cut a piece of 2x4 plywood with it and darn near knocked the thing over, I decided enough is enough. Ready to move on.

I route the edges of all my cornhole games with a fixed-base router. I would much prefer a table with a small outfeed.

And if you guys run across any other suggestions, please let me know. This is NOT something I have to have tomorrow. But it would be nice to have it tomorrow :wink_smil

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Hitachi that Dean pointed to in his second post is $399. Craftsman (smaller one ... top link) that he pointed to in his first post is $459. I really like the idea of a new-in-box saw. But then again I could get the 2-year-old x5 for the same price. I've nearly ruled out Option A simply because it is more than I want to spend. By the time I mount a decent router to it, I'm going to have $700 in it. Out of budget for now.

What is your take on that 12-year-old Jet for $250? I know Jet is a great saw. I just want the best bang for my buck. Ruling out Option A.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
That Jet would be a nice buy, IF it is still available. One thing I dislike about CL is that posters are so lax in deleting sold items. BTW, call ahead on the Sears saws as well. OR just buy online first, if you like the reviews. You could always go to any Sears store for your first look. I'll bet you those saws don't last long now that I've posted them here. Just a thought.

If I were you I'd invest in the tools and not in the jigs/fixtures for now. You can build a router table later or when you need it. I've built simple router table models on 4 basic legs w/skirting as well as on top of base cabinets. There are plenty of low cost plans available from various sources.

Dean

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Chris, my vote would go for the Delta, IF, repeat IF, it is the saw pictured in the ad. The seller seems to be saying, "this is the saw, I just didn't take a pic of the actual one!" If that's the case, you'll get much more use out of the Delta in the long run than the Crapsman.

Bill

gcgarner

New User
Chris
No, it's not the one pictured. It is more of a contractor's saw. 2 hp., wired for 220. New retail was $969.

gcgarner

New User
Chris
I know you all are going to think I'm wishy-washy ... but Option A is definitely back ON. This particular saw is NOT a tabletop saw at all. It is a contractor's saw with the stand removed. Retailed new for $450 in 1999. I think I'm going to pick it up tomorrow (if everything checks out).

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Chris,

The Craftsman might be underpowered for any serious work. What is the motor spec? Can you get a model number on the Delta?

bobby g

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I know you all are going to think I'm wishy-washy ... but Option A is definitely back ON. This particular saw is NOT a tabletop saw at all. It is a contractor's saw with the stand removed. Retailed new for $450 in 1999. I think I'm going to pick it up tomorrow (if everything checks out).
The Craftsman looks like model 113.298762. It's a 10" "3HP" belt driven saw, similar to the one shown below (fence appears to be different). Power wise, it's similar to all the hybrid and contractor saws out there, roughly 1.5HP.

Retrofitting-A-Delta-T2-Fence-to-a-Craftsman-Table.jpg

As for the Delta, if it's the Delta 36-715, then $400 is a good deal.
DELTA-Machinery-36-715-rw-90932-155392.jpg

But if it's this the 36-997, 36-982 or 36-979, $400 is overpriced

bJ0eB9Mnm8DKQ4cSsNKjYYRMEnXvDStVwsfjuZ25kYs4Cefy_qJTCF-P_PlZ144clRcMENrcYpPTrDgCmcGjJogP3mediNg4ubCodZXHPNh4GhnzeS87NXezgjNGErRGKzQKRYow9knsm5i-6JRBSuiAdH8

gcgarner

New User
Chris
Well, the search is OVER! (That was fast, huh?)

I am getting Option A. The seller is throwing in his Porter Cable 694VK router and a few bits for an extra $50, so I said "DEAL!" $600 for the entire setup. I was unaware that the saw also comes with lots of extras, including a nice Freud dado blade, push bars, etc.

The model number on the saw is 113.299315

After reading THIS THREAD ... I decided it was a pretty good investment.

If the Craftsman proves to be "not enough saw", I then I will simply replace the saw and keep the rest of the setup. I think it's a good move.

Thanks a TON for all of your advice/help here. As a relatively new woodworker, I am loving this forum.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Congrats on the decision Chris. You're going to love the Incra system (though there is a learning curve for the fancy stuff, I'm only about a third of the way up it myself...).

Travis

b4man

New User
Barbara
Another plunge taken:gar-Bi

Thread deleted by author.

Next thread should be a gloat.

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors