Table Saw Throat Plate

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
Has anyone ever seen a plate with a vacuum attachment? My DC ducts directly outside and pulls the heat with it. I have connected a shop vac to the saw and it works well but for the dust on the top of the saw directly behind the blade. To be honest, the DC leaves that stuff there as well, just not quite as much. If I can reduce it I will stay with the shop vac on the saw.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
What do you mean by a "plate with a vacuum attachment"? Do you mean an over-blade pickup or a pickup in the saw's cabinet and mounted to the throat plate which itself has holes in it?

The holes idea won't work, since the board being cut will almost always cover the holes and the dust is only generated in the blade slot. The only way to capture the dust that rides in the blade gullets and is thrown at operator from the blade at the top of the blade arc at over 100 mph is with a good over-blade shroud pickup with high CFM and SP. Some of those are attached to the splitter/riving knife and some are free floating (attached to something away from the blade- saw cabinet, ceiling, etc. by hard or soft duct.)

An over-blade pick-up with a skirt, like you see on CNC routers, is even better as it keeps dust from being forced out from underneath the pickup yet allows make-up air to enter. Of course, an over-blade pickup can be hard to use in some TS operations like with a tenoning jig, etc.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I was thinking about the plate being several layers separated by a void area with the vacuum pulling on the area beside the blade. I use the saw almost exclusively with a crosscut sled so there is nothing above the saw top. I rely on a bandsaw for ripping. If anyone has an idea please let me know and I will give it a try.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I was thinking about the plate being several layers separated by a void area with the vacuum pulling on the area beside the blade. I use the saw almost exclusively with a crosscut sled so there is nothing above the saw top. I rely on a bandsaw for ripping. If anyone has an idea please let me know and I will give it a try.
Assuming that you have a large sled which completely covers the throat plate area, simply temporarily remove the throat plate to test sawdust pickup. This would simulate the most throat plate holes possible. My prediction is that you won’t see much ( if any) improvement.

Your sled is like a large zero clearance throat plate and sawdust will probably still spill from the back of the blade.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
All that would do is hold the wood down. The work /sled would cover the holes.

The real problem is to apply enough force to the dust while in the gullet below the table to overcome it being packed against the back of the tooth. Air jets have been tried with limited success. I have another idea but have not had time to fabricate it. I am most concerned my idea may set up undesirable resonances in the blade. What I can only visualize is better sizing and shape of the gullets. It is a "just right" problem. Large enough to carry the dust, but small enough to shed it.

Putting a top shield with high flow collection to the top of the sled is about as good as anyone has done. A Sharkgard or DIY version works for ripping, but in the way for crosscut.

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
I guess I was not very clear on what I am looking for. I would like for the suction to be taken on either side of the blade. This would be through a hollow throat plate. Meaning I would have to connect some vacuum tubing to the bottom of the plate.

pop-pop

Man with many vises
Corporate Member
I guess I was not very clear on what I am looking for. I would like for the suction to be taken on either side of the blade. This would be through a hollow throat plate. Meaning I would have to connect some vacuum tubing to the bottom of the plate.

Some job-site saws partially surround the blade with a shroud that connects to a shop vacuum. Suggest looking at some of these at a BORG for ideas. Many years ago I had a Ryobi BT3000 with a shrouded blade and the sawdust pickup was remarkably effective.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
That does not give much chance ( area) to do the extraction. I doubt it would do a darn thing. Maybe if you had about a 5 HP compressor shooting a focused jet directly across into a vacuum port.

Most newer saws have large shrouds that can be connected to a DC or vac inside the cabinet. They work from useless to somewhat handy. All have the same problem of not directing the airflow in any useful direction.

tarheelz

Dave
Corporate Member
I'm sure others are far more talented or lucky but every gap, hole, void, ridge etc. in a throat plate is where an off-cut will get caught up. That's no bueno.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
And all those holes make ZERO difference when using a sled!

You either have to collect it below or above. This is not magic, just hard. If it was easy, all saws would be perfect.

Fancy holes in a plate MAY, and I say MAY help a little when ripping 1/2 blade width off an edge. Otherwise, nope. Dust collection is about airflow.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
20754-b2bd8483d63aec036b525037ec627c75.jpg
20755-1097a60a1f4d71366dcd07f5786b04ba.jpg
20756-0c52d7b1923d42a2aa9d666f56461d01.jpg

Cuthriell

Cuthriell
Senior User
My original goal was to keep more heated air in the room since my DC discharges outside. Now I have the saw connected to a vacuum cleaner and it is working well enough. With the throat plate removed below the sled I am seeing about the same amount of dust between vacuum cleaner and DC. The major difference I see is that the DC picks up mostly everything and routes it outside and the vacuum collects the fines mostly and leaves the larger bits of sawdust in the bottom of the saw. I did drill some holes in a plate to see if anything changes and it looks like a definite maybe. I am currently happy with the vacuum but will put the DC back in service when warmer weather returns.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
That's not going to work. The dust on top of the table is picked up by the blade and strewn off the top as it emerges from the table. That's why you need a hood. That said, I will watch that video Martin mentioned.

What is your current blower set up? If heat loss is an issue, can you add a filter?

Don't forget its not just point of use DC. Nothing is going to get 100%. If air quality is an issue, then an air filtration unit is a must. Also a dust mask and well ventilated shop.

I wouldn't worry about collecting so much from inside the cabinet. My SawStop has an integrated hood, but my previous was the typical box. I opened the gate every so often just to clean out the box.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS