Table saw opinions

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Oh, the Jessem guides are great, but only for cuts that fit. I just got a set of the green foam finger thingies and will give them a try.
Is it this one?

1680562942425.png

I saw a review of this and decided I'd give it a try. I have some old wooden ones that don't inspire a lot of confidence.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
I've never seen the need for board buddies if you have a riving knife. Can someone explain that?

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Prevent kickback, hold the wood to the fence, etc.
Not sure on the BB, but the JessEm have a 5 degree angle on the wheels, and they are also 1 way rollers. The 5 degree help roll\push the wood against your fence through the entire rip.

Don't hold me to it, but I'd guess the BB would do the same? Green, yellow, etc. Diff colors are for diff purposes, regarding the BB.

EDIT: minimize kickback, not prevent.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Depends on the cut and if the wood has any stress that is released. I do a lot of thin strips so I use feather boards all the time. Things like cutting the rebate on picture frame molding. Keeps solid contact. I can also mount the BOW on my band saw to help with re-saw. Ripping thin strips from thin plywood is always dicey.

They also keep things in line when you are re-positioning your push block.

I had some rip-straits. They worked but were often in the way.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Chiming in on Harvey.
I'm a fairly new owner of a Harvey Ambassador C-14 bandsaw and am very happy with it. Based on its robust construction, weight, fit, finish, hardware, adjustments, customer service and so forth, I have the strong sense that their table saws would impress as well.
Another thought...
I'm the camp that thinks that a router table embedded in a table saw extension surface makes all the sense in the world--until it doesn't. There's the fence issue as well as the easily foreseeable frustration of having to change setups. If you have a critical setup for the routing function and then need the table saw, you have a Shopsmith situation. Shopsmith too made all the sense in the world--until it didn't. A lot of people produce truly admirable work on a Shopsmith. However, it takes patience and planning to work efficiently with a multi-function tool swap system like Shopsmith. I think that a router table / table saw might produce similar conditions and frustration. As such, I favor machines dedicated to their primary function.
Of course, budget and space are often drivers that each of us wrestles with when machine decisions.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Not to digress, but since we already did :) these have done well for me.

Very flexible - they can be stacked vertically and the board itself can be reversed in the carrier to change the offset from the fence. Another neat feature is the first feather is slightly shorter than the rest so you can use it to set the offset from the fence (and presssure) more consistently. Solid construction - good for ripping hardwood stock but perhaps not best for smaller or more delicate work.

Attachments

• Featherboard.jpg
    Featherboard.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 66

Wilsoncb

Williemakeit
Corporate Member
Probably too late but I just saw a nice Sawstop PCS on market place for $2800. In Liberty NC.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Chiming in on Harvey.
I'm a fairly new owner of a Harvey Ambassador C-14 bandsaw and am very happy with it. Based on its robust construction, weight, fit, finish, hardware, adjustments, customer service and so forth, I have the strong sense that their table saws would impress as well.
Another thought...
I'm the camp that thinks that a router table embedded in a table saw extension surface makes all the sense in the world--until it doesn't. There's the fence issue as well as the easily foreseeable frustration of having to change setups. If you have a critical setup for the routing function and then need the table saw, you have a Shopsmith situation. Shopsmith too made all the sense in the world--until it didn't. A lot of people produce truly admirable work on a Shopsmith. However, it takes patience and planning to work efficiently with a multi-function tool swap system like Shopsmith. I think that a router table / table saw might produce similar conditions and frustration. As such, I favor machines dedicated to their primary function.
Of course, budget and space are often drivers that each of us wrestles with when machine decisions.
Only hic-up on the C-14 is the quality of the guide bearings. Just watch yours so you can clean and lube them until you get fed up and put some Timken or NTK in it. :)
I did convince them to add a section to the setup to adjust the upper guide parallelism. Harvey does seem to listen to customers.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not to digress, but since we already did :) these have done well for me.

Very flexible - they can be stacked vertically and the board itself can be reversed in the carrier to change the offset from the fence. Another neat feature is the first feather is slightly shorter than the rest so you can use it to set the offset from the fence (and presssure) more consistently. Solid construction - good for ripping hardwood stock but perhaps not best for smaller or more delicate work.
Good products and far cheaper, but the BOW work a little differently due to the cam design of the finger supports. At least that is what is said.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Good products and far cheaper, but the BOW work a little differently due to the cam design of the finger supports. At least that is what is said.

Cost is actually comparable - the Jessem's are $36 on amazon right now, though it'd be great to find a cheaper source. Amazon is not always it ....

I'm curious about the BOW boards - please weigh in once you find out how well they work.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I prefer the mag switch feather boards. I found with the type that mount in the mitre slot, they’re either hard to get to stay in place or aren’t adjustable enough for all of my needs.

I’ve never used the BOW or Jessem products though so maybe they’ve solved these issues.

mikeyt

Mike
Senior User
Thanks for all the input.
I ended up getting the Grizzly.
I may end up hating the router table but if I do no big deal. It was a good price for a solid looking machine.
Need to finish getting it together and run power for it and the new C14 that's on the way.

Attachments

• 20230416_101420.jpg
    20230416_101420.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS