Table Saw Guards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
This isn't a post about who uses and who doesn't and it's not a post about why we should. I don't use my Unisaw guard because it is useless and gets in the way. I do have a splitter that works very well but I would like an overhead guard so that I can feel safe when using my saw. I want to keep my Beisemeyer splitter so the Shark Guard is out. The one from delta is outrageosly expensive. I am down to the Brett Guard and the one from Penn State Industies. Does anyone have one of these or can you offer a different selection?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
There is also the Excalibur which I used to have on my PM 66. It worked well, but overall, I found I didn't like using it. It ended up being a pain when you tried to rip and do narrow strips (less than 1"). I did try to use it, I just wasn't as consistent as I would have liked or should have been. The nice thing about the excalibur is it has a 4" hook up for your dust collector and that it can swing out of the way very easily. Still, it is a bit bulky, but it does work well for the price.

I can't speak first hand to the Brett or the Biesemeyer, but I believe the dust collection hose for both of them is separate so take that into consideration.

As for a Felder, I have one of those, and I need to get the dust collection hooked up to the guard. On my Felder, the guard attaches to the riving knife which doesn't work too well when you want to do blind cuts. I did order a true riving knife to go with it for these instances, but I haven't put the guard back on as of yet, but I should.

To me, the "perfect" guard would be narrow (say 3"), be balanced very well, easily removed off the saw, and easily to swing out of the way say when you are wanting to use a tenoning jig, and finally, attach from the ceiling.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
To me, the "perfect" guard would be narrow (say 3"), be balanced very well, easily removed off the saw, and easily to swing out of the way say when you are wanting to use a tenoning jig, and finally, attach from the ceiling.[/quote] Sounds just like a Biesmeyer to me. Someone here recently built one, using plans from Badger Pond (now Wood Central.) My Bies has the DC hose opening, but it is to go on my Uni, which currently supports a Craftsman RAS. Does a nice job, as RAS has been sitting on Uni for five years now- one day.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I don't have one, but check out the Shark Guard. It gets a lot of good reviews. Google and ye shall find.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
This isn't a post about who uses and who doesn't and it's not a post about why we should. I don't use my Unisaw guard because it is useless and gets in the way. I do have a splitter that works very well but I would like an overhead guard so that I can feel safe when using my saw. I want to keep my Beisemeyer splitter so the Shark Guard is out. The one from delta is outrageosly expensive. I am down to the Brett Guard and the one from Penn State Industies. Does anyone have one of these or can you offer a different selection?

Hey Bas...:gar-Bi

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Hey Bas...:gar-Bi
Oops :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:. At least I didn't recommend he use his factory Unisaw guard.
My brain wasn't running on all three cylinders last night. :confused_:confused_

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
Brett Guard is awosome. Kinda a pain to install, but really nice when it is on. I have one at my day job, and we use it all the time. If you get it, go with the one with a vac port on the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS