Table Saw - Decided Once, Decided Twice, Disgusted Too The Point of Insanity

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I have only used one table saw in my life - the one I bought 16 months ago when I started making stuff out of wood more seriously. I bought the Ridgid TS2400 which is an excellent saw. But, I am ready to upgrade to a more solid platform. I have read reviews until I can't think straight. I really like the G0690 10" 3HP 220V Cabinet Table Saw with Riving Knife. I geso tired of taking the guard off of the one I have. But the T21851 W1677ORIG 3HP Cabinet Saw with Original Fence & Rails is $500 bucks less. I don't mind spending the extra money - if it is worth the difference. Is it?

bwat

New User
Bill
Re: Table Saw - Can't Decide

I believe The Woodworking Source/Rick has one of these in his shop so he might be a good one to ask since he deals with them regularly. Contact info in ad at right.

DavidF

New User
David

Not sure what your budget is but I can highly recommend the Dewalt DW746 hybrid, especially with the 52" rails and extension table and the the optional sliding crosscut table. I think I paid about $1500 for mine some years ago.

woodstarfarms

New User
CreativeWoodworks

If you like the Ridgid, but just need a heavier saw, try the Ridgid granite top table saw. It weighs 450 lbs. and has plenty of power. I have had one of these for a while now and love it. The only thing I don't like about it is that I paid $699 for it and now home depot has put it on clearance for $299. Very few stores would assemble them so no one knew what the looked like. I am considering buying another one just for dado cuts, to save time on set up. I made my own longer rails with 2" steel tubing and 1" angle iron using the same fence with phenolic added to both sides, Giving me a 60" rip capacity. This is just a suggestion so look into it, but hurry these saws are selling fast. The HD store on Strickland Rd. in Raleigh, and the store in Garner both used to have them assembled. Good luck with your venture.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis

Not sure what your budget is but I can highly recommend the Dewalt DW746 hybrid, especially with the 52" rails and extension table and the the optional sliding crosscut table. I think I paid about $1500 for mine some years ago.

+1. This is a great saw. I think I'm the 3rd NCWWer to own this particular one.... It's decked out with the incra joinery system, sliding table, and router table extension.

James Davis

New User
James Davis

I would say buy a Uni.

But if it were me I would have to look at the Shop Fox that you posted. That is a whole lot of saw for that kind of money. Had that deal been available when I bought ny Unisaw, I would have gonr that route.

James

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

I have an old Jet exacta left tilt saw, made before everyone else jumped on to the left tilt boat, and I love it alot. I like the riving knife option on the Grizzly, but would buy the ShopFox for the money. If you can't afford a sawstop (alot of us can't) then I think that you're getting a good deal on the ShopFox and I'm sure that it'll be the last tablesaw that you ever buy.

Good luck,

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

For me, I would spend the extra $500 and get the one with the riving knife versus the old splitter/blade cover. The riving knife stays in alignment and is easy to keep aligned, and the blade cover is easy as well.

It is $500 more, but it only hurts once. Just go to the web site, enter all the information, close your eyes, and click SUBMIT!!!

Good luck on whichever direction you decide to go.

SubGuy

New User
Zach

http://www.grizzly.com/outlet/10-Table-Saw-3-HP-Single-Phase-220V-Left-Tilt-w-7-Rails/G1023SLX

Pretty much the same Grizzly with different stuff on it that I would like. If you have the room, the table extension is nice. I think that Shop Fox would be great, but I would go for bigger/more power if I could, plus the price of the Grizzly's are good for what your getting. I would say go Grizz...I, however, will be pinching pennies for a Contractors version of the SawStop!

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael

I'd have bought one of the granite top Ridgids for $299 and been happy for a few years. But, I couldn't find one before they were all gone.

I like the bigger saws but my small shop leaves me no room!

I really like the riving knife!

The SawStop is nice - but not that nice. I won't spend more than $1500 - well, unless I become wealthy sometime real soon...

Jon

New User
Jon Todd

My jet has the riving knife. If you need to look at it let me know.

eyekode

New User
Salem

For me, I would spend the extra $500 and get the one with the riving knife versus the old splitter/blade cover. The riving knife stays in alignment and is easy to keep aligned, and the blade cover is easy as well.

It is $500 more, but it only hurts once. Just go to the web site, enter all the information, close your eyes, and click SUBMIT!!!

Good luck on whichever direction you decide to go.

I think the the deal at HD for the granite saw for 300$ is just too good to pass up. But if you cannot find one I would say go with a saw with a riving knife.

One of the things you mentioned was that you don't use your guard as much as you would like due to the hassle. The cheaper shop fox doesn't fix this.

And if you cannot stomach the cost now then hold off till there is a sale. You still have a working saw right? I paid less than 1250 shipped with lift gate for my 691.

Another thing to consider is that the Grizzly product offering is totally confusing right now. They revamped the G1023 line to have a quick release riving knife and a dust shroud. So the G0690 and G1023 really occupy the same market space. The only positives I see for the G0690 is the Leeson motor and the available accessories (they are now selling a sliding crosscut table and pretty nice looking router wing extension). The positives for the G1023 are that it is made in Taiwan and has the dust shroud.

I am sure dust collection would work better with the shroud but I am not sure I would notice... I don't worry about any of the dust that goes under the table anymore. Some of it builds up in the cabinet when it reaches the height of the dust port it gets sucked away and doesn't accumulate anymore.

Oh, and the last difference I see is the location of the dust port if that matters to you...

Or... you could wait for a deal on craigslist. When I bought my saw within one week I saw the best tablesaw deal I have ever seen on craigslist :) (General International cabinet saw with a 50" biesemeyer fence, router table in the wing with a router in it for 500$!?!!).

Salem

M

McRabbet

The Shop Fox saw is essentially identical to the G1023 series of Grizzly saws (I'd put them in one big happy family) and all of them are available at reduced prices because they are being phased out by a new generation of table saws with riving knives. It is a good saw and has a excellent Biesemeyer clone fence. Cutting of panels is limited by the rails provided and it does have an old-style fixed splitter/guard that needs to be removed for operations like dadoing. The G0690 has a true riving knife (easily removable), a longer set of rails and an American-built motor from Leeson. I have a Grizzly G1023SLX and love it -- it has a 52" panel capacity and I have made rip cuts through 3" white oak, so it has loads of power (Both saws will do the latter). If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the saw I thought would last me for the rest of my woodworking career -- the G0690. If money is of real concern, then buy any of the older models (get one with a fence and rail set that meets your panel cutting needs).

eyekode

New User
Salem

Rob,
Note that the G1023R series now has a riving knife as well. And as my previous post mentioned it has a dust shroud for the blade too. Another plus it has on the G0690 is that it fits a full 7/8 dado (not that I find 13/16th's limiting :)). Assuming the new "R" series is on par in quality respect the G1023RLW looks like a winner over the G0690.
Salem

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Re: Table Saw - Can't Decide - Getting Serious Now - SOLD MY SAW

I sold my saw this morning so it is getting serious. Now, I am considering the G0690, the G1023RLW, and the SawStop Contractor Saw. I know the SawStop isn't in the same league. But, I do like the break feature. It has a riving knife and excellent dust collection. The mobile base is really nice and, I wouldn't have to deal with getting 220V in my shop. I have seen the SawStop at Klingspores and I like it. I need to be able to move the saw around. Here are some questions:

1. Do we get 10% off on SawStop stuff at Klingspores?

2. What would it cost to do the wiring for 220V? I have a box in my shop with room for more breakers.

3. How easy would it be to move one of the Grizzlys around with a mobile base?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member

I don't think the Klingspor discount includes SawStop. You need to call them to verify. The 220 isn't a big deal if you have capacity and an 2 extra 110 slots in your box. You can do most of the work and have an electrician do the actual connections and save some money if you have a buddy. It ain't rocket surgery but you can burn your house down or electocute somebody if you screw it up. Can't help with mobility on the Grizzlys. I know my Unisaw would be a chore to move around.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I have my Grizzly 1023 on an HTC mobile base. The extension table legs have swivel wheels. It moves pretty easily on a clean, concrete floor.

Jon

New User
Jon Todd

I wired my basement with 220 its no big deal

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

1. Do we get 10% off on SawStop stuff at Klingspores?
No, power tools are generally not included in the discount program. I hear the standard fence on the SS contractor saw isn't that great, so figure that into the price.

2. What would it cost to do the wiring for 220V? I have a box in my shop with room for more breakers.
Not too much, depending on accessibility and how much you can do yourself. If you can run the wire from the panel to your outlet, then you only need an electrician to open a knock-out, put in the breaker and wire things up. That's less than an hour work. If you have open studs in the garage, running the romex is easy enough. Conduit is a little more work. I'd figure $50 in material and perhaps $100 in labor. That's on the upper end of things. If you find a friend that's handy, that works too. Plus, once you have 220V, all sorts of other opportunities open up as far as equipment goes.

3. How easy would it be to move one of the Grizzlys around with a mobile base?
Define "easy". I don't think moving a Grizzly cabinet saw around is any more difficult (or easier) than any other full size contractor saw if you have a good mobile base. The tricky part is doing this with a side/ outfeed table.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these saws. The G0690 and 1023RL are 3HP and very solid, the SS contractor saw is a little lighter but has the brake feature. Steak vs Lobster.

Skymaster

New User
Jack

Flathead: 220? esssss seeeeeeeeeemmmple;

Power off
1 20 amp double pole breaker
some 12/3 wire
black to one screw on breaker
red to the other
white to the neutral bar

Plug: