Table saw and router gauge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
OK, in another thread that was really about my chair I threw in a bit about a gauge I bilt to measure blade settings on my table saw. See that thread here: http://ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1860

I have now made a new gage that is refined from the original. Take a look and if you like there is somewhat of step by step photos in my photo gallery. Feel free to use it for your personal use. One thing...When you go to the gallery you need to scroll past the photos of the finished gauge and find the beginning photo of a piece of walnut on the band saw. For some reason it put them in reverse order...Sorry.

Take a look and let me know what you think. I will be submitting the gauge to a few woodworking mags to see if they will use it in shop tips or a contest or sumpin like that. Here is the link to my gallery: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=browseimages&c=310&page=2 Thanks for looking!

DadsClocks049.jpg

DadsClocks030.jpg

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The top one is too pretty, what kind of wood is it made out of. I won't be surprised if the magazine do publish your tip, it's a great gadget.
Dave:)

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
DaveO said:
The top one is too pretty, what kind of wood is it made out of. I won't be surprised if the magazine do publish your tip, it's a great gadget.
Dave:)

Dave, They are both the same. It is made from an oak trophy plaque that I salvaged. I used red devel poly stain/varnish combo. The flash makes it look splotchy but is is pretty smooth. Thanks:-D

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
I got an email from someone asking "Where did I get the ruler?" and how long to build? Well I lost the email, deleted by accident so maybe that guy will see it on here.

OK, I got the stainless ruler at Lowe's and it was about $2.50 and came with a pocket clip. It is 1/2 inch wide so it is small enough to make the gauge small.

As far as time, well I had to figure out each step as I went because the plan in my minds eye never works like I dream it up. It took me about an hour to build and then another 4 hours to coat it and dry it.

I hope this gets to the person who emailed me.

Thanks

woodguy1975

New User
John
It is a great idea. I have one suggestion that might make it better. Cut the ruler down to about 3.5" to make the jig shorter overall. For a TS the blade height maxes out around 3". The shorter jig would ease storage and make it a little more accurate.

Great work.

John

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
woodguy1975 said:
It is a great idea. I have one suggestion that might make it better. Cut the ruler down to about 3.5" to make the jig shorter overall. For a TS the blade height maxes out around 3". The shorter jig would ease storage and make it a little more accurate.

Great work.

John

YEa I agree. The actual max measure is 4 1/4 inches the way it is now. If I trim the top rail and shorten the sides I can get it down to 3 1/2 inches. Then I just need to clip the ruler at the bottom to fit the frame. I can not think of anything that 4 1/4 inches of rule can be used for in the shop.

Thanks for the opinions. That is what I need to fine tune and make it as good a tool as possible.:eusa_danc

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
sapwood said:
Dang Roger, not only a great idea--you've gone and made it purty :icon_thum

Sapwood

Thanks Roger, One other thing I would eventually like to do is make it where it has a small window opening with a wire or needle to mark the rule measurement. Right now it just uses the top of the wood frame to indicate but it can be difficult to see sometimes. We will see what its evolution brings.

Monty

New User
Monty
I just saw this... you may actually have trouble getting published, afterall! :oops:

Still a great idea, though! I'd rather make one than send my $$$ to Trend! :icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Yea, it is probably patented and will make it illegal for you to make your own. Saw something similar in FWW where they had to retract a tip that Lee Valley had a patent on.

Dullblade

New User
Roger Hunter
insomniac said:
I just saw this... you may actually have trouble getting published, afterall! :oops:

Still a great idea, though! I'd rather make one than send my $$$ to Trend! :icon_thum

That figures!:eusa_doh: I think they stole my idea!:lol: Oh well I wasnt going to market it anyway. Everytime I dream up something someone else has already been in my dream and took my thoughts.:eusa_booh The positive side....Mine is prettier!!!:eusa_danc I will scratch the idea of the submissions now... oh well it was fun while it lasted.:crybaby2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS