Table profit....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I was at my girlfriends antique auction yesterday.

Hold on to something.

They had a tilt top tea table with a single board top.

The top was 35" across.

The top was dished.

The top was dead flat.

The top was a single board.

It was stunning. It also sold for $25,000 (thats twenty five thousand)!!!

Fun time to love wood!!

No, I did not bid on it :)

Jim

Lot#300 - Chippendale Tilt Top Tea Table, PA, 18th c.,
Detail - 10 Images
Price Realized:
25,000.00 USD Time Left To Bid:
Auction Has Concluded
Group - Category:
Antiques & Collectibles - furniture Estimate:
4,000.00 - 8,000.00
Description: Chippendale Tilt Top Tea Table, PA, 18th c., w/family provenance of having descended continuously in the same family, (Vanderslice), the table has a circular top w/low molded dish to edge, over open box w/turned columns, pillar and bulbous baluster turned standard, highly arched tripod base terminating in elongated carved claw and ball feet, decorative notching to the underside of tripod base, richly patinated old surface, 30"h x 34.5"w x 35"d break to birdcage mechanism repaired w/metal cuff, replaced wedge and ring, iron brace to bottom of shaft, roughness and small chip to dish top rim

Attachments

• 23728_2269_20T13K6UR.jpg
    23728_2269_20T13K6UR.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 23728_2269_20T13K9XV.jpg
    23728_2269_20T13K9XV.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 160

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The NYW did a piece like that based on an original that was a candle stand owned by Martha Washington. The bird cage mechanism is very unique. A lot of those original tables have repairs to them. They are very elegant but not very structurally sound. The legs are a very venerable area due to the grain orientation.

Naahm's episode - The New Yankee Workshop Tools

Dave:)

dozer

Mike
25k someone has to much money :lol: :lol: I think I would have just had one built and pocketed about 20k but hey i'm cheap what can I say :rolf:

DavidF

New User
David
I must say I dislike intensely that style of furniture. It always offends me when people will pay $25K for an old, repaired piece and the contemporary craftsman struggles to get the price of the wood out of a prospective customer. OLD DOES NOT MEAN GOOD! - end of rant.....

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
I don't know anybody that would pay $25,000 for a table old or new. Damage and repairs on that old table pretty minor considering it's age. Really appreciate the craftsmanship that went into building this Chippendale table. Cutting the circle top, bird cage support, turning the base, joinery, carving, pretty remarkable given they did everything by hand. Cheapest replica, I found with out bird cage support listed for over $1,000. Just do a Goggle search for "Chippendale Tilt Top Tea Table," and see prices for antiques and reproductions. Norm, has built several tilt top tables over the years. Think only did one table with carved feet. I don't get the attraction for a tilt top table, but still like watching him make them.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I must say I dislike intensely that style of furniture. It always offends me when people will pay $25K for an old, repaired piece and the contemporary craftsman struggles to get the price of the wood out of a prospective customer. OLD DOES NOT MEAN GOOD! - end of rant.....
Old does mean good! Look at the average age of NC Woodworker members. Old, very old! It's good to be old also. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors