Swing in, swing out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Yesterday I got my 6X6 DC closet dried in and shingled. I have a pre-hung exterior door ready to install, but :eusa_thin after looking at the interior space (now less than 5.5' square), I am concerned about the real estate the swing in door will use. So, :eusa_thin :eusa_thin I'm thinking, how's about putting the door in so it swings OUT. I know the hinges are outside, and that makes thievery a simpler proposition, but who's gonna bother to swipe a bolted up ClearVue when there's lots more goodies inside the actual shop. So here goes, my experienced and sage fellow woodworkers: talk me OUT of installing the door so it swings out.

---Topic shift----

Riding back from Elon College with my assistant who bravely climbed on the closet roof to tar paper and shingle, we noted a number of "voted best" businesses along the I-85/I-40 corridor near Burlington. Have ANY of you ever been asked to vote for your favorite anything? Who votes? Is Crossroads Ford really the undisputed price leader? What does that mean, anyway.

Thanks for the advice on doors. While I wait for the replies, I''m going to go set up a booth to allow people to vote for their favorite tax (property, sales, capital gains, income, estate, gas, etc.) Hope y'all have your tax returns finished and ready for the mailman.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Jim, I don't see that there would be any problem with the door swinging out. You always could go to HF and get their security screw kit with the screws that take a special driver to remove. Plus no matter where the hinges are hung, no door is going to stand up to a chainsaw, so they just keep honest people honest.

I have been asked to vote for my favorite moron to be the subject of political humor for the next four years :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
For several years I had my dust collector under a shed roof outside the shop with NO door on it, only three walls and an opening. Anyone could have taken it if they'd wanted it, but no one wants things like that because they mean work. Who's going to steal a dust collector and try to sell it? Usually only woodworkers are going to use that kind of stuff, and most of us are pretty well connected, so it shouldn't be too hard for a stolen collector to be spotted for sale somewhere. That said, I'd feel fine with a door that swings out and a simple lock on it, maybe a dead bolt so it can't be opened with a credit card. Past that, it would be too much work to get into unless they intend to clean you out. Now my DC is inside the shop in its own room, nothing on the outside. BTW, my air compressor also was under a shed roof too, and no one took that either, even though they did break in and take other stuff in the past. Thieves will go for small easy stuff.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
the security problem of the hinge pins being poped out is an ez fix.

open the door and stand on the inside, on the middle hinge mark a spot on the barrel of the part of the hinge that ataches to the door jamb ( this spot should not be accesable from the outside when the door is shut.

remove the hinge, and drill and tap this spot for a small allen screw, replace the hinge and find the spot that this hole lines up on the pin, and grind a small flat spot on the pin.

insert the pin into the hinge and tighten the allen screw, the hinge now can not be removed without opening the door and losening the allen screw.

security hinges can be bought that use this system, however if you have a drill press and the proper tap it can be made quicker than ordering it at your suplier.

Bryan S

Bryan
I was going to say security hinges but Marks solution sounds like a pretty good one, of course anyone determined to get in will. But definately swing out after having to work in some of those small equipment rooms at my last job, you wont regret the extra room.

I see you were in my stomping grounds. They do that "best of" voting every year in the spring here. I do have some issues with some of the results though, there is no such thing as good BBQ in this town. I've either got to go east or west.

Taxes! Done, been back, been spent. On tools of course :-D

jglord

New User
John
I agree, most folks probably would not steal a dust collector - big, heavy, usually dusty, half or more full of saw dust - low street value.
The problem is thieves are usually not well endowed between the ears and with a good looking well constructed structure, placed out of the way, they may well break-in to see what's inside. Upon discovering the dust collector, they will probably move-on or do more damage in anger over what they did to get in to find "nothing".
Bottom line: One should strike a balance between keeping out the casual thief and making it so the determined thief does not need to do major damage to determine they don't want it anyway.:lol:

T

toolferone

I built my closet to hold my dust collector and large air compressor with the doors swinging out. I did use the security hinges and I used gate hardware to hold the second door in place. The rod goes 3" in the concrete at the bottom and I have another one going up into the header. Remember locks keep honest people honest. I would go with what makes it easier to use and screw the theives.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Security hinges aren't necessary. Hang door swinging out. You will need longer brickmould if door comes with a thresh. With door open, on hinge side, add a couple of screws that project out about 1/2". One just below top hinge and the other just above the lower hinge. Put some lipstick on the heads, and start to close door till screws stike the jamb. Open door and bore holes where the lipstick marked jamb, to accept the heads of screws. I usually use a 1/2" dia. bit, boring about 3/4" into jamb. Close door completely, checking that your holes are deep enough. Now remove hinge pins and try to remove door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS