Sweet Gum

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Today I started slicing up the sweet gum logs FredP gave me. Both the trees are white and mineral streaked walnut color. I've cut a lot of different species of logs and I must say these two particular sweet gums are amongst the best for appearance. And no the lumber is not forsale - I'm going to bring the lumber home stick it to air dry it and board and batten the inside of the shop. I know this thread is worthless with out pics... But hey I just wanted to let you guys know that gum is some sweet looking wood.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
When I worked at the saw mill I seen some good looking Gum go up the chipper:gar-Cr:no: Let us see some pics when you get the shop lined with it

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
I've got some gum that jeff... sliced up for me. I wanted it for drawers and such. It's some twisty, gnarley stuff, I jointed a piece Friday that was almost 5/4 to start, milled it down to face flat and after planing, it was 1/2" stuff.

It ranges between grey and toast, and when you get a good piece, it's great.

I made a gun rack from it, it's classic.

Howsumever, if you wanna make something from it, you gotta slice (rip) it into 4" pieces, joint, plane, and then glue back together.

It is pretty stuff.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've got some gum that jeff... sliced up for me. I wanted it for drawers and such. It's some twisty, gnarley stuff, I jointed a piece Friday that was almost 5/4 to start, milled it down to face flat and after planing, it was 1/2" stuff.

It ranges between grey and toast, and when you get a good piece, it's great.

I made a gun rack from it, it's classic.

Howsumever, if you wanna make something from it, you gotta slice (rip) it into 4" pieces, joint, plane, and then glue back together.

It is pretty stuff.

Dried that bad hu Jim?

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I had a double gum, two trunks (fork), fall in my yard a few years ago. I had a potable mil come in and mill it. Great looking wood. Had a stack 4x4x10. Let dry outside undercover and when done it was so twisted that it became segmented furniture and some fire wood. In hindsite I should have banded it to minimize the twist.

Jeff

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Our local saw mill does a lot of work in sweet gum. He said its very popular for railroad ties as I recall. He does a big business with the railroads actually.

My dad turned quite a few bowls from the cutoff scrap pile at the mill. It was a bit bland, but some had really surprising grain patterns.

Jim

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I need to run spell check...I meant "portable mill". It was a Australian mill with a circular blade with 4-6 teeth on it. Amazing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS