Sweating the small stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
When we talk about spending money on tools, it's typically the "big four" (table saw, band saw, jointer, planer). But it's the "small thousand" that's killing me! Here's a short list of everything I've purchased in the last six months to set up shop.

Bear in mind that this does NOT include general household tools such as a hammer, screwdriver or socket set. It also does not include the smaller tools, such as ROS, brad nailer, router, compressor, finishing, etc.

Block plane
Clamps
Carpenter's Square
Speed square
Bench grinder
Sharpening jig
Clamps
Sharpening stones
Outfeed roller stand
Doweling jig
Calipers
Clamps
Card scrapers
Variety of glue, glue applicators and brushes
Various size brads
Various size screws
Basic set of router bits
Shop vac
Shop vac filter upgrade
Shop vac spare filter
Shop vac accessory kit for hookup to sander and router
Safety glasses
Ear protection
Push sticks
Featherboards
Good table saw blades
Can of Boeshield
Paste wax
Bag of shop rags
Dust collection hose
Compass
Band saw blade for resawing
Band saw blade for scroll work
Band saw blade for general purpose work
Pencil and sharpener
Clamps
Double sided carpet tape
Chisels
Dust masks
Sandpaper in various grits
Sandpaper for random orbit sander, in various grits
Rasp
Files
Extra work light
Clamps
Level
Long level
Extension cords
Fire extinguisher
Forstner bits

This is just from memory. I'm sure that if I went down to the shop I could double this list. Do I need all this? I guess I don't really _need_ the Forstner bits. Or the dowling jig. But the rest....I use this stuff almost daily, regardless of the project.

Thank heaven for Harbor Freight. I know, I know, buy quality tools or you'll regret it. But, I'd rather be working now and upgrade later!

Rant off.

Bas.

J

jeff...

You might need that compass for when you get lost in your shop and can't find the door ;-)

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Bas,

I hate to say it also, but over the years I've bought a lot from HF. Nothing large, but lots of small stuff that has added up. When starting out you can't go wrong with their clamps and small tools, and as time goes on, when LOML allows:eusa_pray, we upgrade if needed.

Just remember "the hurrier I go, the behinder I get", the more you buy, the more you see and want to buy. It's just a common woodworking disease.

Jimmy

ebarr

New User
Wayne
Bas,

When starting out you can't go wrong with their clamps and small tools, and as time goes on, when LOML allows:eusa_pray, we upgrade if needed.

Jimmy

LOML only comes in my shop about once every 6 months, She will walk by a new tool and says "Hey, when did you get that" With that I reply " I have had that forever " Which is code for don't ask you don't want to know, and you don't want me to start asking where all that stuff in the house came from. :rolf::rolf:

sediener

New User
Steve
You really shouldn't post this stuff... my wife still thinks I make all my stuff with the table saw I got for my birthday last year.

- Steve

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's true, buying tools is addictive. Tool catalogs are now like the Victoria's Secret catalog. But, I do think I'm finally getting to the point where I actually have enough basic stuff to do most tasks. Although I still need more clamps.

BTW, the compass I referred to was the two-legged variety, for drawing circles. Is there a different term for that here? Which leads to an interesting question - what is the strangest thing you have in the shop?

Bas.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Bas: Welcome to the club of "broke woodworkers!" I know just how you feel! I inherited a lot of my dad's old hand tools, (planes, saws, scribes, brace and bits, thumb gage, etc.) He was an "old time carpenter who owned the first electric "Skil Saw" ever sold in our county. It was a Miller Falls and you wouldn't believe what he and his partner paid for it in the late 30's or early 40's.

If you REALLY want to spend money, combine woodworking with a passion for waterfowl hunting and you will keep a second job forever! Good luck on stocking up. HF will get you making dust now, and that's part of the passion.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I think I may have the secret to your getting away with more tools.
If things are disorganized and cluttered enough, the other half can not tell if anything new shows up in the pile. :eusa_danc

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . Which leads to an interesting question - what is the strangest thing you have in the shop?

Bas.

Me :mrgreen: Oops, Bruce already told you that.

And approximately twenty 19/64" twist drill bits from my dad's tools. Most are well worn and I'm clueless as to his need/use for them :eusa_doh:

Roger

Bryan S

Bryan
Resistance is Futile! You have been assimilated by the dreaded Woodguy Disease.

Way more than I have. The small things add up to more (and quicker) than you think. I too have made a fair amount of smaller buys this year but have lately been resisting so I can upgrade to a better tablesaw. The old Craftsman has seen its better days. I try to only buy the smaller stuff as its needed for a project

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
but have lately been resisting so I can upgrade to a better tablesaw. The old Craftsman has seen its better days.

Don't remind me. My tablesaw is the one piece of equipment I have where my talent outstrips the the tool. I put on a nice new sharp Freud blade and it is 200% better, but I can still feel the thing is underpowered.

That list of small stuff would have paid for a Grizzly 1023SL. Plus shipping. With router table attachment.

I'm still going to get it of course :)

Bas.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
My problem is I spend all my money on tools and swear I will make everything from scrap. I am still waiting on my board stretcher to arrive.

And to add to your list don't forget the mini fridge, for "it helps the glue to stick better, LOML. What? No. Of course I don't keep beer in there..."

A first aid kit mounted on the wall. (For when the LOYL looks in the mini fridge...)

A phone for ordering pizza (or an ambulance...for when you run out of pizza or beer...)

And of course, the all important Bosch Job Site Radio!! Gotta have the tunes cranked up!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

Attachments

• coke_machine_workshop.jpg
    coke_machine_workshop.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 218

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Tool catalogs are now like the Victoria's Secret catalog.
Bas.

You may be spending TOO much time in the shop!! :lol: :lol:

On the spending note, it looks like most of those things are useful. BTW I think the forstner bits will find use, too. I don't use screws very often at all but sometimes a counterbored screw with a plug cap is the best approach. :)

BTW, you didn't mention a bevel or marking tools or respirator?

Chuck

Cuprousworks

Mike
User
...BTW, the compass I referred to was the two-legged variety, for drawing circles. Is there a different term for that here? Which leads to an interesting question - what is the strangest thing you have in the shop?

Bas.

I've heard them referred to as "Dividers", but that's probably from machinists and engineers. Some have pencils, some only points. If the points go in or out they're "Calipers"? Put the same points on a single bar instead of attaching them as a "V" and you've got "Trammels".

No wonder there's so many tools, people have been working overtime making the names!

Rod

New User
Rod
Woodworking is a bottomless pit. The more you buy, the more you "need". The more you learn, the more you "need". It never ends.............

...............thank goodness.

Rod

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I'm sorry but that qualifies for a big YOU SUCK.

I want one.....mine's a little 2x2 cube fridge from wally mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS