Sun tubes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Everytime I go into the shop and turn the lights on in the middle of the day I think what a great idea those "Sun tubes" would be to direct some natural light into the shop without putting in a skylight in which may let more heat in. Anybody used them, what sort of cost? easy install?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
We had a few of them in an office I used to work in. They really work well and let in a lot of light. They were added to the building after it was built and I don't think that the installation was all that involved. Word of advice....DON'T look up into one on a bright sunny day, the light is very intense 8-O

Dave:)

DavidF

New User
David
chris99z71 said:
I'll second that after looking at their price sheet...
http://www.solatube.net/prices.shtml
$470 for only a 2' long pipe on up to $690 for 10'...I sure could burn a light bulb for a loooong time with $470 worth of electricity...

I just found some for $260 for a 10" dia - still a lot of money, maybe I'll just keep turning on the light!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
The quality of light from a solar tube is excellent.

Doesn't work too well at night, but you get a surprising amount of moon "light".

The kits usually include all the flashing and rubber membrane needed to seal up the hole.

Lowes carries a line of solar tubes if you want to see some in person.

You might consider adding new windows or skylights? You are paying a lot for the hole flashing and the reflective tubes in a Sun Tube. Many installations necessitate routing the pipes thru an attic and into odd locations.

If you have a "simple" shop roof, the costs might be much less.

The direct cost comparison to lightbulbs is hard to justify. But, in many cases, the sun tube saves money overall in the end. Like, if you have to hire an electrician to run lights, have a light you want on all the time (dark hallway), concerns about heat gain, etc.

Sun tubes are a neat idea, work well, and last as long as, well, the sun works.

Jim

DavidF

New User
David
My ceiling is flat and insulated with un-used space above it so I cannot install a simple skylight as it would be allowing light to shine in onto the top of my ceiling! not much good! I thought one of these would be a good addition, but I was hoping they were cheaper.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
David,

If memory serves me right, your shop building has atruss roof. Have you considered using a skylight? You could easily build out the space between the rafter and place a 2' wide by -say 4' long sky light (such as a Velux). Benefit of the sky light is you can open it and use it for efficient ventilation. I just put one in the past weeken and it wasn't difficult.
..just a thought.
Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
Bernhard said:
David,

If memory serves me right, your shop building has atruss roof. Have you considered using a skylight? You could easily build out the space between the rafter and place a 2' wide by -say 4' long sky light (such as a Velux). Benefit of the sky light is you can open it and use it for efficient ventilation. I just put one in the past weeken and it wasn't difficult.
..just a thought.
Bernhard

What sort of cost are we talking here Bernhard?

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
DavidF said:
What sort of cost are we talking here Bernhard?

David,

I'll look it up this pm. But I don't think those were here were very expensive. I want to say that a 21x48 (the size I am using), manual opining was around $270 plus a flashing kit for about $40.
I'll tell you exact prices tomorrow.

Bernhard

sapwood

New User
Roger
David,

I browsed the BORG Velux skylights recently considering replacements for my "bubbles". Don't remember the price but a carpenter friend gave high praise to the newer Self Flashed model that comes with the flashing already built in. The unit construction greatly reduced the ever present flashing problem.

HTH,
Roger

DavidF

New User
David
sapwood said:
David,

I browsed the BORG Velux skylights recently considering replacements for my "bubbles". Don't remember the price but a carpenter friend gave high praise to the newer Self Flashed model that comes with the flashing already built in. The unit construction greatly reduced the ever present flashing problem.

HTH,
Roger

Looks like 29 x 29" runs around $220.00. I'll have to think about that.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
sapwood said:
David,

HTH,
Roger

David/ Roger,
I don't think the self-flashing works for remodeling. You have to take off a bunch of shingles when using the sself flashing. The flashing kit is a bit more forgiving.

Bernhard

chris99z71

New User
Chris
FYI - I was in Home Depot last night (imagine that) and saw that they had the 10" sun tubes with the 48" tube for $149. It said that extension tubes and 14" models were also available, but I didn't inquire. Maybe the price on those isn't as bad as I thought!

DavidF

New User
David
chris99z71 said:
FYI - I was in Home Depot last night (imagine that) and saw that they had the 10" sun tubes with the 48" tube for $149. It said that extension tubes and 14" models were also available, but I didn't inquire. Maybe the price on those isn't as bad as I thought!

Uhmm..interesting, might go have a look, thanks for thinking of me; I know how the mind can wander in those places!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS