Suggestion for this type of bench top

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtwp

New User
Kurt
The top came from a cubical. It is 6' long 2' wide at the narrowest part and 4' wide at the widest. It is approximately 1"3/8 think and looks like pressboard. The other side is white.
I was thinking of making a bench 6' x 2' and using the remainder for a rolling cabinet. Any idea what any of you would do it with it. Also suggestion on how to attach the top to legs.

NOTE: I have two identical tops.

Kurt

20190120_124819.jpg

20190113_154456.jpg

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Hey Kurt - welcome to NCWW. I hope you find better answers than mine, but here are my thoughts.

Bench top sounds great - as long as you build sufficient support structure underneath it. That can be inexpensive 2x4 frame and legs, if you are wanting to keep costs low. Of course, if you wanted to spend $2000 on a bench, you wouldn't be considering a melamine top - at least that's my assumption. I would allow a few inches of overhang on each dimension to allow you to clamp pieces directly to the table top. Make the base as sturdy as you can, you won't regret that. If you develop your skills, eventually you make may a fancier one - but many of us make do with a cobbled together bench that works for us.

My 'bench' is an old commercial laminated benchtop that is simply sitting on top of an ugly but very solid metal table. I screwed a few wood strips into the bottom of the commercial bench top, and these capture the four sides of the table. Top over hangs the support table and 'viola' - my bench. I simply clamp things down with F-style clamps or handscrews style clamps. I mostly do power tool projects, with the occasional project needing hand tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS