Stupid, stupid, stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie s

New User
Charles
I had an argument with my router in the shop last night and the router definitely won the discussion. It hit my index finger and followed it all the way around to halfway up my thumb, leaving a pretty impressive path of destruction. I had a wonderful evening at the emergency room getting it cleaned up and stitched back as good as they could, considering there’s some meat missing. But I’m lucky that there’s no permanent damage. It was a very painful and bloody way to learn a lesson about safety that I already knew and chose to ignore. The 30 seconds I was attempting to save by not clamping down the piece became 3 1/2 hours at the emergency room. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Charlie S

MikeH

New User
Mike
Charles,
I'm glad the injury isn't worse. It looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Glad to hear there is no permanent damage. Listen to the doctor and allow it to heal properly(unlike me).

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Charlie - I'm sad to hear this ... but glad you didn't do more damage. Take care of your finger and let it heal!

jglord

New User
John
I'm sorry to hear about your injury:cry:

I, like many others have had reminders of how forcefully a router enforces its rules, but I've been lucky to have suffered no more than acute embarrassment, coupled with a shaky new respect for the machine. :eusa_doh: It does wonderful work, but does react quickly to minor infractions.

I hope with good care and follow-up, your hand will heal quickly and completely - i.e. with no appreciable loss of function.:eusa_pray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Charlie,

Sorry to hear about your injury. With power tools, even something minor is major. Hope you get well soon. Thanks for sharing... I know I've taken a few short cuts.

Ray

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Charlie, I too am sorry to hear about your accident, but posts like this always drive home the message of safety and may help someone who has become complacent in that department. IMO the router can mess up a piece of wood faster than anything else, I can't imaginge what it could do to a hand. I am glad to hear that the damage will heal. So do you now point with a roundover or an ogee :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I had an argument with my router in the shop last night and the router definitely won the discussion. It hit my index finger and followed it all the way around to halfway up my thumb, leaving a pretty impressive path of destruction. I had a wonderful evening at the emergency room getting it cleaned up and stitched back as good as they could, considering there’s some meat missing. But I’m lucky that there’s no permanent damage. It was a very painful and bloody way to learn a lesson about safety that I already knew and chose to ignore. The 30 seconds I was attempting to save by not clamping down the piece became 3 1/2 hours at the emergency room. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Charlie S

I am very sorry to hear about your accident. Thank goodness it wasn't worse. I hope you heal quickly.

What operation were you performing?

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The saying "Most short cuts aren't" applies here. Sorry to hear about your new use for the router. After 3 1/2 hours, you wonder why they call them "emergency rooms." Only bright spot in this story, is you are posting it and not me. Get well soon and go show that router who is boss. Bruce

TBone

New User
Tommy
Glad to hear it wasn't permanent damage. A router can definitely get your attention. Thanks for the reminder

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for posting this reminder about safety. I don't even remember winning an argument with a power tool. Glad there's no permanent damage. Do your blood hurt the piece you were working on?

charlie s

New User
Charles
I was making a surround for a garden tub for my neighbor. He had gotten some Cumaru to use, an expensive exotic wood similar to Brazilian teak. Since it was such an expensive wood, I was very careful to make a template out of mdf to use as a guide to cut out the final product. I made the template to my satisfaction and traced it onto the glued up panel of Cumaru, then cut it out on the bandsaw just outside the line. I was using my flush trim router bit to trim it to the exact shape when the accident happened. From doing a little research on the wood after the incident, I learn that it's an extremely hard wood with interlocking grain that blunts tools very quickly. When I made my first pass around the template it left just a little rough place in one area; when I went back to smooth that area out the bit grabbed the grain, completely shredded the edge and leaped into my left hand that was holding the piece. I'm confident this wouldn't have happened using almost any other type of wood but it doesn't excuse the poor safety mistakes I made.

Lessons I hope I learned:

1. Never, ever get in a hurry running power tools. NO EXCEPTIONS!
2. If you're using an unfamiliar wood, research the characteristics of it.
3. ALWAYS clamp down your piece if you're using the router by hand.
4. ALWAYS use two hands on the router.

Below is some of the characteristics of Cumaru.

DENSITY AND BUOYANCY
Janka hardness is 3540, making it somewhat hard and durable, 174% harder than Red Oak (1210 Janka). Average weight is 71 lbs./cu. ft. Specific gravity is .86, making this wood dense and extremely hard.
DRYING AND SHRINKAGE
Very unstable when used in dry climates and it is prone to shrinkage. It is naturally seasoned and kiln dried to prevent shrinkage.
WORKABILITY
Being one of the hardest woods on the planet, the wood is difficult to saw and bore and will have a fairly high blunting effect on tools. Where severely interlocked grain is not present, the wood planes to a smooth surface. Because of its high density and oily nature, the wood glues poorly. It nails and screws well; pre-boring is necessary.

Charlie S

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I work with bloodwood a lot! It doesn't start out as bloodwood but ends up that way!:rolf: No project is complete around here if some blood isn't spilled on it!:roll: Hope your fingers heal quickly. safety safety safety...... If it dont feel right don't do it.

fred p

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Dear Charlie,

I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I wish you a speedy recovery.

I cut my index finger on the table saw in March (5 stitches), and it is almost 100% now. It was a slow healing process with the nerves, but each day was a little better. One tip I learned is that the dressings that are yellow (coated with some kind of ointment) did not stick to the open wound nearly as bad as plain gauze. I remember my shop looked like a CSI scene.

The worst part was that after paying $700 in medical bills I thought, "wow, I could have been safer and bought quite a few tools instead of cutting my finger" (and it would have been less painful) :lol:.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS