Stupid simple plane stop

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
in my continuing quest to spend time “improving” on designs of questionable merit, and waiting for paint t dry. I devoted an hour this afternoon to giving my ”workbench” a planing stop.
I had been looking at a variety of solutions but always balked at cutting a mortice through my bench top. Said bench top is laminated out of 3/4“ particle board with 3/4” sande plywood on top. this monstrosity is the top of a torsion box. At least the torsion box has been a good solution.
So today I realized I was over thinking things and really all I needed was a stick and a hole that fit it.
I could cut it to length to bottom out in the torsion box when flush with the top. to set the height I just stick something suitable under it.

I submit the stupid simple planing stop

A thing of beauty it aint, but it serves the purpose.
7681A58B-7EE7-4DA2-981C-3A3DDED50523.jpeg
3DEF899E-F5BB-44EA-A813-B00C1A3F1626.jpeg
8A82CB4C-DD3A-4638-BC48-B95C51192C0D.jpeg
025FA8EC-D63B-4D6C-AB17-07335D4224A2.jpeg

I went back and tweaked the back side f the mortise so it stands vertical against the end wall of the torsion box. It may tilt back in use, but should still work.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Right now it doesn’t wobble, but if it wears from use I can screw a plate up from underneath to give it a good edge to bear against. with the bottom side being particle board it is pretty soft and I see that becoming an issue.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS