Strip or sand away finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I need to remove the finish on a gunstock.
The finish is aaadescribed as a polyurethane laquer and is, supposedly, difficult to remove.
Generally, I just use strip-ez but thought I'd ask advice on this particular finish.
Being that it's only a gunstock, perhaps it would be as easy in ther long run to simply sand the finish away?
Strip-ez has worked well on most stocks I've done, but this is a newer generation of stock finish than I'm used to!

DavidF

New User
David
I had to read the post title twice to realize that you wern't talking about the choice between two professions.:lol:

nelsone

New User
Ed
The stripper may be a good start, but I'd think you'll be doing some sanding either way. If the stripper works then you'll be able to start with a finer grit. If it doesn't work you'll have a little more sanding to do!

J

jeff...

I think I would start with some acetone and steel wool, then wipe with mineral spirit soaked rag, then sand a little... Mike has a good point, use care with any chemical, read and follow the label...

Thanks

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I usually start with a cabinet scraper,

My experience with them is zip I'm afraid.
I take it the scraper(no stripper involved) is sharp enough to be "up to the job" of getting this finish off the stock?

Also, I know a person who used Certi-Strip(I think thats the name, citrus based stuff I believe) on a CZ and found it lacking. Is a citrus based stripper in the same league as nasty chemical stuff like stryp-ezz?

nelsone

New User
Ed
A card scrapper that is properly sharpened will definitely be up to the task. I love mine for general woodwork and will often grab it be fore I get the sandpaper! But I mostly use it for flat work. You can get one of the curved scrappers that would do a great job, but I can't offer any advise since I don't have one.

I can't give you a good answer on the citrus stripper. I have to admit, I try to avoid strippers (man, that really doesn't sound right!) whenever possible.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
My eperience is STAY AWAY from Citri-strip and its cousins, brothers, sisters, and any thing else like it. It takes FOREVER for it to work, if it works at all. The only strippers that work contain metholine(sp?) cloride, but it is dangerous stuff - it can cause permanent brain damage if breathed too much. It is heavier than air and settles on the floor area, not above, so window fans, etc. are not effective. I good squirrel cage fan on the floor works well. I would suggest outside, but the stuff evaporates quickly.
I would follow Mike's advice and use a cabinet scraper first, then if need be you can use something like Strip-EZE (liquid) which contains MC, then sand. By the way, MC rinses off with water.
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors