Strength test.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I built this table almost 5 years ago, when my wife was nursing our daughter, to give her a place to set things down no matter what side lunch was being served on.

Deckcutoffprojects001.jpg

It was one of my first furniture design/builds. BORG Red Oak, biscuit joints and some Mahogany decking off-cuts for the top.
I have often referred to it as a testament to the strength of a biscuit joint. There is only a single biscuit joining the apron to the two legs. It has held up to all my now 5 year old daughter could do to it.
Until the other day..... the 40lb. furniture destroyer jumped on it from the back of the couch -

Table_repair_005.jpg

I was surprised to see that for the most part the wood failed and not the biscuit.

Table_repair_008.jpg

Table_repair_010.jpg

Because the biscuit separated and took some of the wood with it there was no re-gluing. I trimmed the biscuit reminats off the apron and chiseled out a patch for the biscuit slots in the legs.

Table_repair_011.jpg

I considered using a loose tenon to re-join it back together, but seeing as the rest of the table is still assembled I thought it might be more difficult then it's worth.
So I used 2 pocket screws per apron side and a couple 3" deck screws screwed from the front of the leg and plugged with a button.

Back in all it's glory -

Table_repair_013.jpg

We'll see if I can get another 5 years out of it. :eusa_pray My daughter now knows not to jump on it...she felt really bad about breaking it, I bet she won't do it again :roll:

Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I bet she won't do it again :roll:
Hmmm, maybe not this particular piece of furniture, but I'm sure something else will get broken...

Actually, I think it was probably a good thing you used biscuits. A stronger mortise and tenon joint probably would have failed as well, but in a more destructive fashion.

Great job on the repair, I can't see where you fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Probably not Bas. A biscuit is simply a really short M&T, so they tend to have the same modes of failure.

But one of the true advantages of a M&T over biscuits is that they fail more gracefully, namely the long tenon prevents complete joint separation aka catastrophic failure.

-Mark

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Good save, Dave.

I thought the title was "Feats of Strength", and I was all excited about a Festivus gathering. :5sigh:

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
Dave, Great save on a peice that proably holds far more memories than anything else.

FESIIVUS....DID I SEE FESTIVUS :rotflm:

HAVE ALUMINUM POLE , WILL TRAVEL:gar-Bi

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice recovery job, Dave! The memories that belong with that piece demand that you keep it forever, not just 5 more years...
Nice design BTW.

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
but dad it is a diving board, see. watch this now that you fixed it,:rotflm:.
Great job Dave.
I'm sure it will last.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Great pictorial and explanation of the repair job. :icon_thum

I'm glad your daughter didn't get hurt. I can imagine the look on her face when it "cracked"...:eek:

Chuck

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I think it was foresight on your part during the building process. I like how you designed it to fold in the event of a collision with a little one. The joint absorbed the energy of the impact with your daughter, thus saving her from injury, kinda like the crumple zones in a car:eusa_thin:swoon::swoon::eusa_thin. Good job on the repair, and I am glad that she was not hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS