Storing Plywood

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Well . . . . here's another thread about plywood started by yours truly. My inquires about plywood began with this thread: Has Anyone . . .

If one does not have space to store plywood laying flat, is it better to stand it on the short (4') side or the long (8') side?

Thanks.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Any extra full sheets go to the wood shed on a plywood rack . The 8' length goes horizontal. Extra cut off pieces go in a rack in the shop stored vertical

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Well . . . . here's another thread about plywood started by yours truly. My inquires about plywood began with this thread: Has Anyone . . .

If one does not have space to store plywood laying flat, is it better to stand it on the short (4') side or the long (8') side?

Thanks.

I think that’s driven more by the space you have available than by a right or wrong way. I have always stored mine vertically with no issues. Probably the most important thing though is to get it up off of any concrete, to prevent wicking moisture from a slab up into the plywood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This is my plywood storage area.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Any extra full sheets go to the wood shed on a plywood rack . The 8' length goes horizontal. Extra cut off pieces go in a rack in the shop stored vertical

Dirk, do you mean laying flat or lengthwise on edge?

Dave, thanks for the tip on moisture wicking - I hadn't thought of that.

Bill, I have seen several of the YouTube woodworkers with "vertical" racks like yours and thought this was the best way, if space is not a premium.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
On edge. If the long edge is vertical, but leaning somewhat, best to support the first sheet with a couple of 2 x 4 s etc to stiffen it some so it doesn't take a bit of a bow set in a humid environment like a garage. More of a problem the thinner the sheet. Less of a problem if the long edge is horizontal.

Definitely do not set it directly on concrete. I had signiicant damage caused by swelling of the bottom edge on a piece of birch ply that I just had on edge in my garage floor.

The worst case in a humid environment is a single sheet laying flat with no weight on top or poor circulation underneath. I stuck a 3/4 thick AC pine sheet on top of some boards in my drying rack. Looked like a potato chip when I went to use it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS