Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
Stokes Stomp

attachment.php

44th Stokes Stomp
September 8 & 9, 2018

Danbury, N.C. – Moratock Park in Danbury will once again be the center of Stokes County’s cultural universe on September 8 & 9 as the Stokes County Arts Council presents the 44th Stokes Stomp Festival on the Dan.

Held on the banks of the beautiful Dan River, 1077 Sheppard Mill Rd., the 44th Stomp will showcase the best in traditional and Americana music groups, visual arts, craft demonstrations, river activities, dance troupes, children’s area visual and performing arts, and local food vendors.

A stellar lineup of music and dance talent will be featured in the Main Stage area and include the North, South, and West Stokes Marching Bands and many more.

The Stokes Stomp Festival on the Dan is organized each year by the Stokes County Arts Council and remains a FREE Admission, FREE parking event thanks to our sponsors.

Safety, parking, medical, and maintenance support for the Stokes Stomp is provided by the Danbury Volunteer Fire Department, Stokes Public Works, Stokes County District Resource Center, Stokes County Sheriff’s Department, Pioneer Hospital, Stokes County Health Department, Stokes County Emergency Medical Services.

The parade starts at 9 am Saturday. They would like us to be in the parking lot before then.
Sunday the show starts at 10 am.

Above is the basic information about this annual, the longest running festival of its type in the state of North Carolina, event. Now it's time for you to do your paet and volunteer to assist NCWW with our Outreach project at the Stokes Stomp. This a two-day event and we operate three lathes creating light-sabers, a bird house table and other introductory woodworking projects. Your help is needed.

Moratock Park is located in Danbury near Hanging Rock State Park. If you live in King, Kernersville, Winston-Salem, Lewisville or points inbetween, you are a 30 - 45 minute drive from historical Moratock Park and the Stokes Stomp. Sign-up and join us for a fun two days at this
Outreach project!

Attachments

• 2018-Stokes-Stomp-Prelim-Logo-2.jpg
    2018-Stokes-Stomp-Prelim-Logo-2.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Re: STOKES STOMP September 8 - 9 OUTREACH ** Signup **

Thanks Barry,

I plan to be there both days.

Last edited:

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Thanks Mike. Two down and ???? to go.:)

MEMBERFRIDAY SETUPSATURDAYSUNDAY
Mike DavisXXX
Barry WoodXXX
Dirk Gale
X
Neal BowmanXX
Richard
XX
Berta MoretonXXX
Chuck MoretonXXX
Ken Presser
X

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member

I will try to be there on Saturday

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

i hope to be there too

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

I'll be there!

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Thanks to those who have thusfar signed up to work at the Stokes Stomp. As this is a two-day event we need to know which day (or both days) you plan to volunteer.

Thanks!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

I'll be there for Saturday. Two days is usually too much for me though.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

[FONT=&amp]An added incentive, free to new volunteers who work a full day: an official NCWW Cap!

[/FONT]
attachment.php

Attachments

• Cap_gray background.jpg
    Cap_gray background.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 312

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

Berry I'll do both Saturday and Sunday

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

Okay, here we are approaching the final stretch for volunteer signup for our Outreach event at the Stokes Stomp. This is a two-day event (Sept. 8-9) at Historic Moratock Park in Danbury. We very much need volunteers for one or both days. If this will be your first time, we can teach you to turn a light saber handle in ten minutes. You can then assist and teach a young woodworker how to craft his or her own handle. Moratock Park is less than 40 miles from Winston-Salem and other Piedmont addresses, please participate in this event!

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member

There is a lot to see there as well! Craft vendors, live music, and food! Last year we went home with a bunch of freebies...plastic cutting board, shopping bags, pens, plastic cups... It is a fun day for families and it is right along the Dan River.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

The Dan River is actually on 3 sides of the park. It is located in a bend in the river.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member

Please, if you have some time to spare, we would love to have you help out! Remember for one entire day volunteering you will receive the coveted NCWW HAT!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member

Barry, I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member

​I experimented today with cutting some octagonal light saber blanks on the router table (see below) which would be easier to work with on the lathe. As Ken and Mike observed, they would not frighten the young kids as badly as rounding square blanks. This, of course, adds another step in preparing the light saber blanks. What are opinions on perhaps sharing the octagon - cutting of saber blanks? Is this worth the extra work?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Saber blanks..jpg
    Saber blanks..jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 162
  • Saber blanks..jpg
    Saber blanks..jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors