Stickley #220 settee upholstery

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
I am getting ready to build a set of prairie style sofas. Stickley 220's to be exact, only in walnut and bubinga. Why buy it if you can build it, right? As I am just in the material/cost calculation faze of the project, does anyone here have an idea of how much leather I will need for upholstery. I am figuring 5 leather hides will cover it, but wanted to check and see if anyone here had tackled this project, and might have some insight. I am hoping that for around $2000 in material, I can build $10,000 worth of sofas.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I'm in the process of building two Morris Chairs and an Ottoman (FWW #101) and they consist of two cushions per chair and one for the Ottoman. I went to the upholsterer and she calculated two hides and there would be left overs. Hope this helps.

Dan C.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
How many square feet/inches are in a hide. If you know that you will have your answer.

Dave:)

rhett

New User
rhett
50 sq ft per hide is average, but that includes the legs I guess, so I am figuring 40 useable sq ft. I am also unsure as to make loose cushions whick take more material, or a fixed sides and backs.

Dan, before you buy leather from the upholsterer , check out www.4hides.com it is by far the cheapest place to buy leather.

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Rhett, I cannot help you with your question but I sure look forward to seeing this project! Are you using an existing plan?

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
Rhett...Thanks for the lead. I checked out the website (www.4hides.com) and the prices were higher than I was quoted at "Fabric & Foam" here in Asheville. The difficult part is a comparison of quality. The Fabric & Foam price is $120/per hide + NC Tax, and they have two hides with the identical color and texture. They are vat dyed and fairly thick but still very soft.

The 4hides.com prices are higher ($4.39/sq ft, ie avg size 50sq ft X $4.39 = $220.00 + S&H and maybe tax). Again, the difficult issue is comparison of quality. I'm very satisfied with the cost/value proposition of the Fabric & Foam hides and I do need to keep the costs in a controllable range.

Dan C.

rhett

New User
rhett
Dancam
Wow, $120 per hide is an excellent price. The last hide I bought was wholesale from Tandy Leather in Raleigh, and it was $450. A previous client turned me onto the 4hides, that is where they got the leather for the dining room chairs I did.
Mike
I am staying true to the original 220 design, just using jazzy wood. I got the sketchup plans here for free. Lots of other real nice Stickley breakdowns as well.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=6c4e0987896fc5df30c7f4adc2c33ad6

Man I love the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS