sticker shock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhett

New User
rhett
I was getting ready to make my wife's annual christmas gift when I got an uninvited change of plans. The original idea was to use the wood we were most surrounded by in St. Lucia and a few choice landscape photos to make a rather large triptic to hang in our bedroom. Here is the issue, the cheapest I have found koa is $40 per bdf and that is the so called plain stuff. The nicer figured wood is upwards of $100 per bdf!:oops:
Koa is apparently the diamond of wood, I need the cubic zirconia, any suggestions. Not that she's not worth the real thing, but I need at least 10 bdf, and I'm not spending a grand on picture frames.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I didn't think Koa grew outside of Hawaii:eusa_thin ??? Mahogany maybe cheaper and it does grow in the Carribean.

rhett

New User
rhett
While true koa (acacia koa) does only grow in hawaii, the wood I truely need is acacia albizia, it's actually a shrub. Since both are from the same family they share similar characteristics, high luster and tend to be curly. Lots of st lucian furniture is made of the latter, but I don't think they export it. I did look at some sappelle mahogany, but the grain is to large.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Might want to look into veneering the piece instead of solid wood. That will get your price down to a more reasonable number, but may require you to make some design changes.

Good Luck,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS