Stanley Plane Restore (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
After seeing the results of using "The Works" for rust removal, I decided to restore a Stanley/Bailey #4 that was my father's. It had a lot of rust, but the rest was in pretty good shape. I did repair the broken tote and refinish both the tote and knob.

After restoring I thought I would see if I could search the internet to find out a little bit about the history of this particular plane. Unfortunately, I couldn't find very much information on Canadian made Stanleys.

First, here's what it looks like after restoration (why didn't I take "before" pics you ask...good question. I dunno:wconfused:) I believe the tote and knob are rosewood.

2011-09-07_14-53-37_657.jpg

One of the first things I noticed is that it was made in Canada

2011-09-07_15-00-28_895.jpg

2011-09-07_08-51-16_32.jpg

I also noticed that the "Stanley" imprint on the lever cap was not perfect. The "E" is still attached to the lever cap (manufacturing defect?)

2011-09-07_08-45-11_485.jpg

Anyone here know anything about this tool or know of a good resource? I'm not interested in the monetary value because I will not get rid of it since it belonged to my father. It will be passed on to my middle son, who seems to be the only one so far that is interested in woodworking.

I have been learning on a similar journey as you

this site http://www.rexmill.com/ helped me alot

also http://www.majorpanic.com/handplane_restor1.htm

the main thing to look at on yours is the casting on the frog the older ones have more mass on the bottom of below the mounting screws so that is why the older ones are better cause this make less blade chatter...

I bought a rusty number 4 the other day myself to restore.... hope mine turns out as good as yours did

bluedawg76

New User
Sam

these are some nice pix of the process. I used this as a guide for rejuvenating several bailey style planes. i'm not as keen on the final sparkly polish, but cleaning off the dirt and rust is well worth the effort. One important thing to note is that if you use electrolysis to remove the rust, DO NOT use stainless steel as your cathode. The chromium forms a nasty and very toxic byproduct. Instead use iron rebar or even an old lawn mower blade.

my setup (i think i now use 6 pieces of rebar):

colyerjp

New User
Jerry
I am in the process of restoring a Lakeside #4 plane which is very rusty. I am not familiar with "The Works" but it looks like it dis a spectacular job for you. What is "The Works" and where do you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS