Stanley No 5 Jack Plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I can't get to the link. I think you may have paid a little much for a #5, but tune it up and use it!

nelsone

New User
Ed
#5s are pretty common and can be found for around $40, but the one you got looks to be in pretty good condition. I don't think you got had. I have one from a year or two later vintage than that one and yours looks to be in a little better condition than mine. Mine was given to me by my dad.

Some of the other guys that are more knowledgeable than me may be able to chime in.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Its a Sweetheart, so that does add to the cachet and increased collectible value.

The condition appears to be excellent, the sole looks to be in great shape.

You might ask a tool collector to advise you on the value of the plane you won.

If you are looking for a user tool #5, I'd look for another in the $25 range. #5 jack planes are used in roughing operations and don't need to be precision instruments. As Ed said (I keep echoing Ed these days), user tools are plentiful.

Long way of saying, for a collectible tool, I think you did well. For a user tool, you paid on the high end for a #5.

Either way, any plane is a good plane :)

Jim

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Looks to be in good shape, nice plane. It's a classic type 12 plane made 1919-1924. This was the model that introduced the sweetheart era. Notice the sweetheart mark on top of the blade that has New Brittain in the wording. This was the first model that came with the high front knob and large diameter brass blade adjuster. This was the last model to have the smooth face lever cap, all lever caps after this vintage have Stanley cast into the face. Rare versions of this lever cap have the sweetheart logo cast into the back, take a look. $75 is a bit pricey for a #5, $75 is getting up into 605 Bedrock range. It is in good condition and a less common model so it would be worth more than the run-of-the-mill #5.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Looks to be in good shape, nice plane. It's a classic type 12 plane made 1919-1924. This was the model that introduced the sweetheart era. Notice the sweetheart mark on top of the blade that has New Brittain in the wording. This was the first model that came with the high front knob and large diameter brass blade adjuster. This was the last model to have the smooth face lever cap, all lever caps after this vintage have Stanley cast into the face. Rare versions of this lever cap have the sweetheart logo cast into the back, take a look. $75 is a bit pricey for a #5, $75 is getting up into 605 Bedrock range. It is in good condition and a less common model so it would be worth more than the run-of-the-mill #5.

Yeah, I was gonna say that but Randy beat me to it :rotflm:

Enjoy the #5 and don't worry about the $$$ :icon_thum

Roger

James Davis

New User
James Davis
I don't feel that you over paid for the plane. The wood would likely cost you $30.00 or more. The iron is one of the most desirable irons out there. The other parts are in great shape, so it just needs to be cleaned up, tuned up, and sharpened. Then take some shavings and then some pics. We love pics. You did good. :thumbs_up

Could you get a #5 any cheaper? Yes. But you would need to do a bunch of work to it to get it to look and feel as good as that one will in your hands.

James

ralphie9

New User
Brian
Thanks for all your comments...makes me feel better about the price. I will definitely post some pics with it's first use!

shopsmithtom

New User
SST
I didn't see the link, but as to if you paid too much, remember, someone who probably knows planes bid it to within $1 of your bid. I have one of that vintage & it works beautifully. If you went to a woodworking store today to find one built that well, you couldn't touch it for that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS