Stanley 750's Coming Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks like Stanley is getting back in the "Fine" chisel making business again, Sheffield steel, Hornbeam handles, just like the old days:

sweetheart.jpg

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...y+Chisels.aspx

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com...y,Chisels.aspx

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Seems like Stanley is trying to recapture the glory of old: Sweetheart planes, now '750' chisels. I just hope the new versions live up to their namesakes. :tool:

Bill

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Wiith the explosion of the old tools market and the success of LN and LV it wouldn't take a Rocket Surgeon in the Marketing Department to figure that this may make them some money. Can you believe they made $3.74 Billion last year? In a recession?

eyekode

New User
Salem
I thought Christopher Schwarz said it best:

Well the obvious way to do this would be to hunt around in the couches at New Britain, Conn., for loose pocket change. That should be enough to buy out both Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley with some money left over for soda. (Stanley had 2009 revenue of $3.74 billion, according to AOL's Daily Finance statistics.)

For the whole blog entry: http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/More+Details+On+The+New+Stanley+Chisels.aspx

Anyway I like it :). 30$ is not a crazy price if they are similar in quality to the LN's. Just waiting for the mortise chisels now!
Salem

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Some of the Stanley "Bailey" tools are not made in England. I could be wrong but I would not assume the ones on German Ebay are the same discussed in the PWW blog. They look different.

Some of the yellow/black English Stanley-Bailey stuff ended up at Big Lots and it was definitely not "Made in Sheffield" quality . I won't say anymore but ya'll know exactly where it came from. The clamps were ok but the rest of the stuff was questionable. I hope they can do well with these chisels and straighten out the issues with their renewed SW Handplane line.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
OK, so maybe I shoulda' said that the Germans appear to have something similar to what you're talking about. Those 'Stanley/Bailey' tools on ebay.de better be Sheffield steel at those prices. If they're not I'd be surprised, the Germans appear to be discerning but what do I know. Truth be told, I have seen the universally recognizable '12 piece (o' junk)' carving tool set (that was made in that unmentionable place) go for more on ebay.de than it would here. I could be in for a surprise after all...

Dean

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Well, call by a skeptic, but I'll believe that they are as good as they look once I see a few reiviews. The ones modeled after the 750 have potential - I hope it is realized.

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
I think skepticism is a great idea. Why don't we talk someone else into buying them and then ask them how they are?! Just kidding of course!

To be honest I don't know what the point is, them coming back into mid to higher end tools. I say mid because if you've ever seen Blue Spruce, hand forged Japanese lines, etc., you know that the high end is truly high. Even Two Cherries is really mid-range in comparison to those mouth watering choices! What does Stanley/'Bailey' hope to accomplish? I think they should stay content with being the Black and Decker of hand tools.

Just my two pennies of opinion.

Dean

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
D'ar! Man, those multinationals have really crazy family trees. I knew about the B+D/DeWalt/Porter Cable/Delta marriage but Stanley Black and Decker is one crazy hydra of a corporate beast.

Thanks for the information, I love to find out new stuff!

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Dean,

I do have a Blue Spruce chisel, and it is quite something . Notice I said one. If the Stanley's have good steel, they are a good deal at $30, compared to a Lie-Nielsen at $55. Given the similarity to the LN, I can't imagine the 750s have much poorer balance and feel. It is all going to come down to the ability to hold an edge IMO, and how flat the back is out of the package. I nominate you to get a couple and provide an exclusive NC WW review! :wink_smil

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Jeff,

How do you like that Blue Spruce? Man, those tools look more like works of art than something I'd like to beat on.

If it weren't for the fact that I just went out and bought chisels for myself, and the stepsons that haven't gotten the hand me downs, I might actually consider the Stanleys. I just bought some older Stanley firmer gouges from a dealer in England to broaden my 'lendable' tool selection. Here's the link, the dealer's been a great guy overall:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STANLEY-1-2-5...UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item5193984569

Dean

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It would be nice to see the quality in Stanley tools return to that of yesteryear. I checked out their new handplanes, and they seemed ok. I am always in the market for more chisels, so this may be what I get before I break down and get a set of Lie Nielsens if reviews are good.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
cross your fingers... Dozer bought a new stanley a while back [may not be THE new stanley] and after mortising out a few door jambs the edge resembled a roll pin.:BangHead: YMMV

sash plane

New User
steve
IMHO:
The LN's are very very very well made and hold a edge very very well..... I use mine only for pairing and in Black cherry or even Beach they just glide on the cut.... but then they are scary sharp... so that might makeup the option.... I have a Ole 750 1/4" and in a side by side... it is no where near the LN....???? I'm going by ez of use.... I always grab the LN over the others....for pairing...

They are worth the $55 a pop...... the only thing that would be negative about them is... $55 a pop

cpowell

New User
Chuck
IMHO:
The LN's are very very very well made and hold a edge very very well..... I use mine only for pairing and in Black cherry or even Beach they just glide on the cut.... but then they are scary sharp... so that might makeup the option.... I have a Ole 750 1/4" and in a side by side... it is no where near the LN....???? I'm going by ez of use.... I always grab the LN over the others....for pairing...

They are worth the $55 a pop...... the only thing that would be negative about them is... $55 a pop

+1

I'd spend extra for LNs before I'd buy new Stanleys.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I think we need to wait and see what Stanley produces. Frankly I'm tickled to death that they are stepping up their quality instead of continuing to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS