Stanley 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Finally managed to get a functional combination plane. I have been looking for a set of cutters for a Stanley 50 I have, but this came along and I decided to go ahead and get it. It has all but a couple cutters. The rust is fairly minimal. It also didn't have the long arms, but I can live without those until I find some. Now I have to figure out how to use this thing!!!:icon_scra

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_08472.jpg

IMG_0848.jpg

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
That is a nice score, looks like a very good plane. Where'd ya' git it? Very little rust, intact wood including the often missing fence knob, most of the cutters with the boxes. Sweetheart model to boot. Charles Hegedus has replacement cutters fairly cheap. Notice the micro-adjustment on the fence, this is a nice feature when you're using it. A little sprucing up and you'll be making some nice curlers. Reproduction 45 instruction manuals are readily available on ebay cheap, or I can run you a copy of one of mine. There's some good info in the instruction manual. There's several good things on the internet to help you learn how to use it. It ain't rocket science but like everything else, there's some "better" and easier ways of doing things. The main thing of course is sharp cutters. :icon_thum

M

McRabbet

You are fortunate to find one with the Cam Rest and the Beading Stop -- often missing (they are from mine). You might be able to find your missing parts from The Tool Fool or from Bob Kaune's site. I know the Tool Fool has the long rods and many cutters (he is a friend of Ozzie-x, too).

M

McRabbet

The slitter fits just infront of the plane handle and is used for slitting a board (you can actually cut a board off with it). It fits behind the Slitting Cutter Stop (part 75) that is used to control the depth of cut and both the stop and slitter are held with a common thumbscrew. PM me if you need a PDF copy of the manual.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The slitter is supposed to be used for cutting boards. This might be possible for thin basswood, white pine or other soft wood. I also think the slitter can be used for cutting veneer or cutting "tracks" for inlay work. I thought that 45 was one from ebay, you got a deal. The 45 is a neat tool. My house is older and has some neat wide molding that is no longer made. I ground the 45 cutters to match the shapes and use my 45 to make molding any time I need more. I use clear white pine and it cuts like butter.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Congrats! I have at times wanted one and have never quite been able to talk myself into it. I look forward to hearing what you think about it after you have tinkered with it for awhile.

nelsone

New User
Ed
The slitter fits just infront of the plane handle and is used for slitting a board (you can actually cut a board off with it). It fits behind the Slitting Cutter Stop (part 75) that is used to control the depth of cut and both the stop and slitter are held with a common thumbscrew. PM me if you need a PDF copy of the manual.

Thanks for the offer Rob! Is yours the same as this one? If not, I would definitely be interested in a copy!

I seem to be having some trouble with the 1/4 plow blade. The skates seem to be binding. I should be using both skates with the 1/4" blade right?

I did try playing with one of the beading cutters and it seemed to work great as did a wider straight cutter.

M

McRabbet

I have the same PDF file produced by Stan Faullin. By "skates", I assume you mean the Main Body (A) and sliding Section (B) in the diagram. If you are cutting a dado with the 1/4" cutter, you need a narrow batten clamped or nailed to the wood as a straight edge/fence for the Main Body to ride against, and a depth gauge next to the sliding section to control depth of cut. Sharp cutters and grain direction make all the difference. See Fig. 2 in the manual. If you are trying to use the 1/4" cutter for a groove (Matching), see Fig. 8. The "Skates" should stay just inside the groove you cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS